~Leaving the Forest~

When Link returned to the village, he found all the Kokiri waiting. Mido walked forward, his arms folded across his chest.

"Well? What happened?" he asked.

Link shook his head, his eyes closed.

"The Great Deku Tree is- is dead," Link mumbled.

Everyone gasped, frozen from the news.

"He- he said not to grieve for him, and that- and that he loves you all."

There was sniffing as they started crying, then the Kokiri ran past Link and to the Great Deku Tree. The only one who stayed behind was Mido.

"This- this is all your fault! You killed him!"

"Mido, I-"

"Don't talk to me, tree killer!"

Mido ran past him and to the passageway where the other children went. Link sighed, then started back to his house. Navi followed quietly behind, then went back up to his house. He grabbed a pouch which he put around his waist.

"Link? What are you doing?" Navi asked.

"We'll leave the forest. So we have to be ready." Link replied.

He went around the house, collecting food and a bottle, and stuffing them in the pouch. He started out of his house, then jumped down. He started to the exit, but Navi stopped him.

"What about Saria? Don't you want to say goodbye?"

Link froze, then shook his head.

"Isn't she with the others? I'm not sure Mido wants me near them."

He started walking again, and Navi followed. Link started running, leaving the forest. He came to a bridge and was almost past when a voice stopped him.

"You're leaving the forest, aren't you?"

He stopped, then turned around. Saria stood by the side of the bridge, her fairy floating by her head.

"I... I have to go."

Saria closed her eyes, then sighed.

"I always knew you'd leave someday. You aren't like me and my friends. But that's okay. Because we'll always be friends forever, right?"

Link nodded, and Saria smiled.

"I want you to take this. This is a precious item to me, and I want it to be yours. Remember me when you play it?"

She handed him an ocarina. Link took the flute and stared down at it.

"Th-thank you, Saria."

Link looked back at his friend and smiled. She returned it, but then Link turned and ran. Saria jumped in surprise, then watched as Link disappeared from view.

"Please stay safe, Link. And come back to see us."

~ * ~