~Castletown~

A rooster crowed somewhere in the distance. The sun had risen, marking a new day.

Navi sat up and stretched from where she sat on Link's hat. She let out a yawn, then stood up. Link was still asleep, despite the rooster and the sun. Navi let out a groan, then flew over to his face.

"Link! Get up!" she yelled.

Link pushed her away, rolling over. She flew back around and plugged his nose. He tried to breathe in but couldn't. He opened his eyes and saw Navi glaring at him from where she floated.

"Get up! We have to go find the princess!"

Link blinked and slowly sat up. He looked around, then his eyes widened.

"Navi! Why didn't you wake me up! We're losing daylight!"

He quickly stood up and ran past the gate, entering Castletown. He saw a guard standing nearby, who smiled at him.

"Welcome to Hyrule Castle Town! I've never seen your face before. Is this your first time here?"

"Uh, yes, sir! I- I was wondering-?"

"Keep following this path, and you'll find the center of the town. There are many shops for you to check out, and the Temple of Time. You can also see Hyrule Castle from there, which is a magnificent sight."

The guard continued talking, and Link turned to Navi, confused.

"Um, thank you, sir."

"You're welcome, kid!"

Link and Navi followed the cobblestone path to the square. Link's eyes widened in awe as he saw people all around the fountain in the middle.

Many of them were happy, laughing, dancing. A girl passed by, chasing a Cucco, which she tried to catch. Link stepped forward and looked around.

"Look at all this, Navi. There's more people here than in the Kokiri Forest!"

"Well, there is! There's more room for them to live!"

Link slowly walked around as he looked, trying to take in everything he saw. As he looked around, he ran into a girl with red hair. She was about his age and was swaying slightly.

"Hey, watch where you're going!" she said.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to run into you," Link apologized.

The girl stared at him, then gasped.

"Are you from the forest? You must be a fairy boy!"

She squealed in glee as she studied Navi, who hid behind Link.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Malon. My dad owns Lon Lon Ranch, and we came to deliver milk to the Castle. But he hasn't come back yet, and I'm getting worried."

"Hey, I'm on my way to the Castle right now! Maybe I could look for him?"

"Thank you, thank you! Please tell him I'm waiting for him if you see him."

Link nodded, then turned and went down the path leading to the Castle.

"You sure took your time," Navi complained.

"I was looking around! Besides, we're heading to see the Princess now!"

They came to a path leading to a gate. Just as Link was about to turn the corner, a hoot caught his attention.

"Hey, Link! Up here!"

Link stopped and looked up to see the owl sitting in the tree.

"The princess is inside. But be careful. There are many guards keeping watch, and you don't want them to catch you! Hoo Hoo! Good luck, Link! Hoot Hoot!"

The owl took off again, leaving Link.

He looked at the gate where a guard was watching. He went over and looked up at the guard, who frowned at him.

"I've come to see the princess," Link said.

The guard snorted, then shook his head.

"Sorry, kiddo. No one can see the princess right now."

"What? Why not?"

"Because the king said so."

"But-"

"No buts. Go back home, kid."

Link scowled, then turned and walked away. He started back for Castletown but ran into Malon again.

"Hey, fairy boy! Are you heading into the Castle now?"

Link nodded glumly, before shaking his head. Malon tipped her head to the side, frowning.

"Why not?" she asked.

"The guard won't let me in!" Link cried.

Malon giggled, earning a glare from Link.

"The guard will never let you in! Just climb these vines and sneak in!"

Link perked up, following Malon's gaze. His jaw dropped at the vines clinging to the cliff behind Malon.

"How did I not see those? I ran right past them too!"

Malon giggled again before stepping back.

"Don't worry, you can get into the Castle now!"

"Thanks!"

Link reached for the vines, but Malon stopped him.

"You'll look for my Dad too, right?" she asked.

"Of course!"

She nodded, then reached into her pocket.

"I've been incubating this egg, waiting for it to hatch. If Dad's asleep, you'll definitely need this! Just wait for it to hatch, which should be soon! It should help you!"

Malon giggled as Link studied the egg carefully, before carefully storing it in his pocket.

"Thank you so much, Malon!"

Link crushed Malon in a hug before racing up the vines. Malon stood in shock, her cheeks burning a bright red.

"Well... um... you're welcome," she muttered after Link was long gone.

~ * ~