Chapter Four

ALICE DID NOT RESPOND TO HER NAME

ALICE DID NOT RESPOND TO HER NAME. In fact, she didn't respond to any that Charlus called out to her. Instead, she continued to stumble around his room until she was surrounded by Healers that were trying to subdue her. Charlus called out for them to stop, to leave her alone because she was more than welcomed to visit him. She had been one of his friends among the Order, a kind soul that had always promoted the idea that Charlus was a lot stronger than others gave him credit for.

However, the Healers didn't listen to him, leaving Charlus to fight his way to the side of his bed. He didn't have enough strength to stand as of yet, but he could sit up at the very least.

"Leave her be," he demanded, " she can stay!"

Maeve entered the room as Charlus continued to call to leave Alice alone. She quickly made her way over, blocking his view despite him trying to move to look around her.

"Listen, I told them to leave her," he said, " she's a friend of mine. She's alright-"

"Charlus, she's not alright," Maeve interjected suddenly, " I'm sorry but there are a lot of things you don't understand as of right now. It's not your fault, but things just aren't that simple anymore. Who you knew as Alice back in the Order and who you are seeing before you now, they're not the same woman."

"What the hell are you talking about?" His hand thrusted up some makeshift horns during his angry spat. "That is Alice-"

Of course, as Maeve settled herself beside him once again, Charlus knew she was about to say something he didn't like. He knew it wasn't her fault, but since waking up, all Maeve had really delivered was bad news. He didn't want to know anymore bad news, hadn't he been punished enough?

"Physically," Maeve said, " you're right, that is Alice. Unfortunately, mentally, she's not there anymore. She isn't aware of who she is, of who anyone is really. She is stuck in this state, one I can't even begin to describe because I'm not in her shoes. But she is not the same person you knew back then. Things changed her and sometimes, she can be harmful to herself and others if she's not closely monitored."

Charlus bit the inside of his cheek, truly not wanting to cry again. " Wh-what happened to her? Where's Frank? What about Neville? Did they...oh Merlin. What the fuck? What's happened?"

"Perhaps it would be better to discuss this at another time, Charlus. I've already overwhelmed you with enough information. You haven't been awake for very long, we should be solely focused on you getting better. This is your recovery time."

"What does it matter as of right now?" he asked. " My brother is dead, no one knows where my nephew is, my husband is in Azkaban and the people I need to talk to won't respond. What is the point of recovery, what life is waiting for me out there as of right now?"

Maeve gave a small nod of her head. "It's not going to get easier past this point, you know? What you learn, will be a tough pill to swallow."

"Life hasn't been very easy since I left Hogwarts. War is never easy, no matter what side you fight for."