Chapter Twelve

YOUNG PERCY WEASLEY didn't understand why the stranger of a man continued to stare at him

YOUNG PERCY WEASLEY didn't understand why the stranger of a man continued to stare at him. He had never seen the man on the Hogwarts grounds, but judging by the sneering lip that continued to form, he didn't look very happy to see Percy. Taking a step back, Percy looked to Professor McGonagall to intervene or at the very least, say something. She seemed to be trying to gain the man's attention by waving her hand in front of his face, but his gaze did not falter.

While Percy had been thrilled about getting the responsibility to request Professor McGonagall's presence on behalf of Professor Snape, he wasn't thrilled anymore.

"Should I go back and tell Professor Snape that you have a guest?" he asked, hoping to leave quickly. "I can tell him-"

Before Percy could go on, the man stood up and reached for his wand. Suddenly feeling cold, Percy lost all ability to move from his spot. He was frozen in fear, with the exception of the shaking. McGonagall called out for him to stop but he didn't seem to hear her in the slightest bit as he aimed his wand at Percy.

"S-s-s-sir," Percy stammered, " what are you doing?"

"Stay still."

Closing his eyes, Percy hoped that McGonagall would stop him in time, but he opened his eyes again when he felt Scabbers crawling down the back of his robes.

"Scabb-" Percy was unable to call out the name of his pet when he was shoved aside by the man who hurried right out the door.

At first, Charlus hadn't moved from his spot, too much in shock from the news being delivered all at once. However, he was stuck in a stalemate stare with the rat on the boy's shoulder. It felt ridiculous to claim that the rat was Peter Pettigrew, but Charlus had been there the night that James, Sirius, and Peter had finally managed to transform into their animagus forms. James stood as a proud stag, practically towering over the others. Sirius, of course, came as the loyal canine companion that was all too fitting. And then there was Peter, who caught them off guard as they expected to see another robust animal stand beside all of them.

He remembered how upset Peter was initially to become a rat, simply because he didn't believe he could play any role in helping Remus. But it was James who reassured him that they would find a role for Peter, and they did.

Peter's role was crucial for the Marauders, as Peter was the only one small enough to fit into the knot of the Whomping Willow, allowing him to immobilise the violent tree. Underneath, there was a secret passage from the castle grounds that would lead them to Remus. He had been more than crucial to the group, James considered all of them to be his brothers at one point.

And yet, if Charlus was right in his outlandish thoughts, James had been betrayed by one of his brothers, and if Charlus was wrong, he was still betrayed by one of his brothers.

He reached for his wand, ignoring the hand waving in his face as McGonagall attempted to gain his attention. He didn't point it at the child, but rather the rat. An ordinary rat wouldn't have sensed the danger, it was merely a stick being pointed at him from across the room.