Chapter Forty-One

MINISTER FUDGE did not want any more trouble

MINISTER FUDGE did not want any more trouble. His career couldn't survive even the slightest scandal. The incident involving him entering the flat of Maeve Elpis and accusing Sirius Black of being an illegal animagus had backfired terribly. Not only was the public calling for his resignation, even the witches and wizards serving Wizengamot were looking to take action against him. The only thing that was keeping him afloat was the fact that Charlus Potter and the others hadn't approached the courts seeking justice against his actions.

No doubt, Fudge was absolutely furious that he had been manipulated to fall into a trap. But it was made very clear that Charlus Potter was not one to be messed with. He had seriously underestimated his opponent and now with Charlus having the public backing him, including the media, Fudge couldn't take any step forward without being closely monitored or criticised.

He wasn't surprised when Albus Dumbledore approached him one early evening, but Fudge wished he hadn't.

"My hands are tied, Albus," Fudge sighed as he settled behind his desk, " I'm afraid I am of little use, despite my title. What exactly are you hoping for?"

"Harry Potter needs to return under the guardianship of his maternal aunt, Petunia Dursley. I spoke with Charlus a few days prior and he agreed to visitation with Harry, but it was all a ploy. He took Harry away from the Dursley residence without my permission."

Fudge glanced up from where he had been averting his gaze at the floor. " Are you implying that Harry Potter was kidnapped?"

"Technically, no," Albus replied, looking awfully pained for a split second, " his aunt willingly handed Harry over to Charlus. She was so bold to say that she would say that Harry is visiting with his uncle until arraignments are made. They are seeking to terminate their own guardianship and transfer it over to Charlus as we speak. I'm afraid they will be pursuing it within the muggle courts."

"Are you afraid of that because they are in their own legal rights to do so?" Both men turned around to see, a witch standing in the doorway, her head held up high and her eyes locked in on both of them.

"Madam Bones," Fudge swallowed, " what brings you here?"

Amelia Bones, once a former student of Albus Dumbledore and now part of Wizengamot, entered the office. Her hair was sleeked back in a firm bun, allowing her cheekbones to become a prominent feature of her face.

"Forgive me, Minister," she began, although she didn't sound very apologetic, " but I was here to deliver your court summons personally when I overheard the conversation. Seeing as I'm well versed in the wizarding laws and even quite familiar with our muggle counterparts, allow me to advise the two of you. Professor, you hold no legal grounds when it comes to the custody or guardianship of Harry Potter."

"I believe with the lack of proper information, Madam Bones, you are mistaken, " Albus replied calmly. "I have been responsible for Harry's care since the night of Lily and James Potter's death. He was under my responsibility."