Chapter Forty-Five

LYALL LUPIN did not remain oblivious to everything taking place around him since his arrival at Grimmauld Place. It was true that he was bathing in the pure joy of being able to be around his son more than ever. And after the death of his wife and finding himself alone for several years, it was nice to be in the company of others. He attempted to keep a cheerful air about him, while the other adults struggled to keep their heads above the stressful waters.

It pained him to see them all, struggling so much when it was supposed to be some of the best years of their lives. Remus had been living in stress and surrounded by pain since the time he was a boy, some times were easier than others, but still, Lyall would always blame himself for Remus' problems. And Charlus and Sirius had been dealt with the short stick over and over, seemingly never catching a break.

They were attempting to provide the best life for Harry, who despite being left in a terrible environment for years, still held onto his innocence. His simple request to have Walburga be let out of her room and relieved of her punishment was never meant to come across as disrespectful. It showed that he didn't know the severity of the damage Walburga had inflicted on the others. It wasn't something that could be solved with a simple apology, but even then Walburga had yet to even offer that to her own son.

He could see the hurt on Sirius' expression whenever the topic came up of his mother, quickly replaced by anger. Sirius' reactive behaviour was understandable, but it wasn't appropriate during a time where Harry was trying to adjust and get to know his newest guardians. Of course, Sirius needed to work on his temper a bit more, but Walburga also needed to take responsibility for what she did and at least, use the rest of her lifetime, trying to mend ways with Sirius.

Perhaps he wouldn't forgive her, he had every right not to do so, but she could at least try.

After Harry came downstairs with his request, Sirius was ready to charge up the stairs and probably reprimand his mother for trying to manipulate Harry for some sympathy. But before he could do anything, Lyall stopped him.

"Allow me to speak with her, Sirius."

Sirius was noticeably caught off guard by the request as his facial features drastically softened from anger to confusion. He didn't understand what Lyall would say or do, given the opportunity to speak to Walburga one on one. His mind flashed back to confrontations that his mother had with Euphemia and Fleamont Potter and he didn't want to subject Remus' father to such a thing.

"You...you want to speak with her?" he asked. "But-"

"You need to spend less time worrying about these type of things, when you should be spending more time with your nephew, "Lyall said, " don't make the same mistakes I did. Harry needs you all to be focused on him right now. These times are crucial and he just came out of stressful environment, let's make this one as least stressful as possible, alright?"