Chapter Forty-Eight

KNOCKTURN ALLEY was not a good place to venture alone, even if you knew the right sort

KNOCKTURN ALLEY was not a good place to venture alone, even if you knew the right sort. However, after a long discussion with Walburga, Charlus had one more plan up his sleeve to make sure that he won against Dumbledore. He wanted to make sure that no stone was left unturned and in order to do so, he had to make a few sketchy moves. Fortunately, Walburga was more than supportive with his plan and agreed to help in any way that she could.

The first part of the plan involved travelling to Knockturn Alley, cutting through Diagon Alley first. He was to go to Borgin and Burkes to pick up an item, and judging by the shifty glances in his direction, he was already drawing attention to himself. He paid no mind to them though, only lowering his own gaze to focus on where he was walking on the pavement.

At one point, he looked up and caught sight of Borgin and Burkes in the distance. A shop that labelled itself as a place to deal with unusual and ancient wizarding artefacts, but in actuality, everyone knew it was practically a key location in the wizarding black market. If one needed something, especially that fell into the category of the Dark Arts, it could be obtained but at a price.

He was only a few lengths away when his stride was caught off by a rather large shadow. Peering up once more, Charlus was confronted by a hooded figure that was clearly towering over him. He took a step back, going to reach for his wand, but before he could, the large figure struck him first. Knocked back several feet, Charlus landed on his back and felt an incredible amount of pain pulse through his spine. The air was knocked out of him as he struggled to breathe for a few moments.

And before he could react, he was lifted off the ground by the front of his shirt. Any witnesses that had been around before were gone, and Charlus was left alone with the stranger.

"Who the hell are you?" he managed to gasp. "What do you want?"

There was no answer given and no matter how much Charlus struggled to be freed, without his wand in hand, he wasn't able to put up much of a fight. He thrashed about, demanding to be let go, but his attacker paid him no mind as they suddenly disapparated from the scene. The only sound left in their wake was the echoing shout of Charlus Potter.

Left completely disoriented from side-apparition, as soon as his feet touched the floor and he was release, he collapsed to the ground. Still not fully recovered from the hit back in Knockturn Alley, paired with the uncomfortable movement of apparating so suddenly, Charlus started coughing as he attempted to push himself up. But just as he made it to his knees, he found a wand pressed to his neck, directing him to look up.

His attacker pulled his hood up to reveal his mouth, but only his mouth. "What hurts?" he asked.

"Just about everything," Charlus grumbled as he was suddenly lifted up like a doll. A chair was summoned over and he was forced to sit down like a child. And seconds later he found himself tied up. He looked around only to see that they were in an unfamiliar and empty room.

Without warning, the man started to heal Charlus as he felt a warm sensation trail through his back.

"Didn't mean to hurt you," the man said, " but I couldn't have you put up a fight either. I heard you're a skill dueller."

"So you attack me and then you heal me," Charlus said, "makes sense. Let me see, which person hired you, was it Dumbledore or Fudge? Probably neither one of them directly, it would be stupid to dirty your own hands. So, they sent one of their errand boys to hire you to get me, right? But not kill me, not hurt me, no. They hired you to kidnap me for a few hours, is that it?"

His kidnapper shifted uncomfortably, but his lips didn't move.

"So, that was the plan all along," Charlus whispered to himself. " While they're occupied with their own trial, I'm supposed to miss my own court date. Because without me, the others can't gain guardianship over Harry. I miss the court date and the Dursleys wonder what happen to me. If you keep me here long enough, Dumbledore makes his way back to the Dursleys, makes it seem like I'm the irresponsible one. You let me go and disappear into the night, Dumbledore has control of the reins once again."

"Look, I'm not getting involved with whatever mind games are taking place here," the man said, " it's nothing personal, mate. It's a job, I'm getting paid for it. It's really as simple as that. "

"How much are they paying you? Come on, don't be shy. How much were you paid to do this?"

He didn't answer.

"And you don't feel the slightest bit guilt that you are potentially ruining a little boy's life right now? If I don't get custody of him, he's going to return to a rather neglectful household, where he will grow up unloved. That doesn't bother you at all?"

"I told you it's nothing personal-"

"Hmm, must be a large amount. Interesting."

While his arms were firmly tied, Charlus still had the ability to cross his legs as he folded one over the other. His foot lightly bounced as he appeared all too calm at the time.

"You've been watching me, haven't you? Keeping an eye out for me in Diagon Alley and following me whenever I've come out here. Yes, Dumbledore must have figured it out, that's why he sent you."

"I don't know nothing about no Dumbledore, " the man sighed, " but I do know it looks like you were picking up a few things that seemed rather fishy. What good man hangs around Knockturn Alley anyways? You're claiming that you had a court case to attend, so what were you doing out there anyways?"

Charlus chuckled. "I was playing the same game that Dumbledore was playing. We were putting our final moves on the board. He moved his piece first, well played, I might add."

"Yeah, right, whatever you say. And what was your move going to be? Bought something in Knockturn Alley to hex him with?"

Suddenly, Charlus started laughing hysterically. The man didn't move, but a frown quickly developed on his lips as he stood up. Just as he did, Charlus ended in a coughing fit, leaving the man to enter a state of panic. He had been told to make sure nothing happened to Charlus Potter, but it sounded like the man was going to keel over at any second.

"Stop that, will you? You're going to end up killing yourself!" he yelled as Charlus then slouched forward in his chair. "What the-"

Initially, he was about to hurry over and make sure that Charlus was alright, even offer him a glass of water for that terrible cough. But the man came to a full stop when he saw Charlus' dark messy locks, suddenly start to turn white.

"Oh, my good Sir, don't you know? I'm already one foot in the grave."

"Who the hell are you?!"

"I'm the distraction."