Chapter Thirty-Six

HARRY REMAINED HESITANT under the eyes of Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon, who not only looked fearful of their visitors, but absolutely furious

HARRY REMAINED HESITANT under the eyes of Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon, who not only looked fearful of their visitors, but absolutely furious. He suddenly became too afraid to move, not sure of how they would retaliate. His Uncle Charlus had claimed that he was taking Harry out of there and there was nothing to worry about, but in Harry's mind, it was easier said than done. Aunt Petunia already said he wasn't allowed to leave, so what if they stopped him? If they were even angrier with him, Harry was sure he was never going to leave the cupboard.

A firm grip fell on his shoulder, bringing Harry to look up to where Charlus was watching the Dursleys intently.

"Don't worry about them, Harry," he said, " just take me to your room and I'll help you pack."

In his hand, and in the hand of the one that was addressed as Sirius, Harry could see that both men were carrying sticks. Curiously, Harry wondered if they planned on hitting the Dursleys with said sticks if they decided to get in the way. The image was enough to make Harry smile as he started walking towards the cupboard under the stairs. His uncle wanted him to pack his things, but truth be told, there really wasn't much for Harry to pack.

He could certainly do without the broken toys that had been passed down to him from Dudley after his cousin was done playing with them. And besides his clothes, Harry didn't have much else to his name. Opening the door, he hurried in and started to grab his clothes that were folded onto a small shelf. Behind him, Charlus stood in the small doorway and peered in.

At first, Charlus believed the cupboard was being used as a punishment room, he would have never imagined that it was actually Harry's room.

Suddenly, it wasn't just anger that washed over him, but sadness as he allowed his mind to make matters worse. How long had Harry been living inside of the cupboard? At what age did they think he could fend for himself, being locked away in such a small space? How could they think that something so terrible was appropriate for a child?

Dust littered the shelves, along with spiders in every corner. It was a small and cramped place that Charlus didn't even feel he should step into comfortably. And even though Harry didn't appear to have a lot of room, to begin with, Charlus could clearly see that the Dursleys were still using up some of the space as storage. It was in the limited space that Charlus got to see just how bad the conditions were for himself.

Not to mention, when Harry was a baby up until the last time Charlus had seen him, he had been slightly chubby with full cheeks and a little belly that Charlus often liked to poke to make Harry laugh. But the Harry that stood before him was quite thin, and even though most of the Potter men had been on the thinner side, paired with knobby knees, Harry 's current state made Charlus wonder when was the last time he had received a good meal?

The clothes Harry wore didn't help him either. Clearly two or three sizes too big, his shirts hung off his body and every so often, Harry would have to stop what he was doing so he could pull up his trousers that continued to fall. Feeling his hand tighten around his wand to the point where he felt he would snap it in half, Charlus turned around to face the Dursleys once more.