Chapter Seven

IF CHARLUS WAS TIRED OF RECEIVING BAD NEWS, Maeve was tired of being the one to deliver it

IF CHARLUS WAS TIRED OF RECEIVING BAD NEWS, Maeve was tired of being the one to deliver it. As his committed Healer, she wanted to offer him something good to wipe the frown off of his face. She adored his commitment to his family and wanting to free his husband, he had all these ambitions, but Maeve wasn't sure if he was going to be able to actually fulfil his goals. He could only go by word of mouth in Sirius' defence, which she knew wouldn't hold much merit and as for Harry, there was no telling where the child was. Even if Charlus found him, didn't the people that had Harry hold a right over keeping him with them?

Maeve didn't dare mention such things to him, instead, she watched as he sat in his room staring at the wall. He appeared to be deep in thought, but there was no telling what was running through his mind. He was probably sick and tired of sitting around St Mungo's now that he was awake and active.

Waving her hand in front of his face to grab his attention, Maeve had a proposition for Charlus. His dark eyes flickered up to her, waiting for her to speak.

"I was thinking," she began before sitting beside him, " you may not have a place to stay right away, but I don't think you want to stick around here, correct?"

He nodded his head and it seemed she had piqued his interest. "No, but what are you suggesting? I can probably make my way to Gringotts, I know I have enough money put away to get a place. I can do that-"

"I'm sure you can and you can do that, but for now, I was thinking that we can discharge you from here and then you can come to stay with me. Just for a couple of days until we get you situated. You'll need someone to be with you, especially since you're not at your full strength yet. We can stop by Ollivander's too, or Gregorovitch, whichever wandmaker you prefer. You're going to need a wand."

A faint smile finally appeared on Charlus' face and Maeve could only sigh in relief as she finally said something right.

"I wouldn't want to intrude," he told her, " I don't have a problem staying at one of the inns around here. You've done more than enough for me during my time here, Maeve. After five years, aren't you tired of my company?"

"It wouldn't be intruding at all," she quickly countered, " I would actually prefer it so I could monitor you. The other Healers aren't going to be in agreement about you leaving here just yet, especially with your balance being off, but if they know you'll be with me, I doubt they'll put up such a fuss. I promise I won't bother you much during your stay at my home, I'm relatively quiet-"

Charlus chuckled at her slip, he didn't need Maeve to keep trying to convince him. If she truly didn't believe that he was ready to be out on his own, Charlus would take her word. After all, she was the Healer among them and in a familiar, yet unfamiliar world that he was returning to, he could use all the help he could get.

"I'll stay with you," Charlus agreed, "until you think I'm ready to be out on my own again."

Maeve bowed her head with a grin before pushing herself up to stand. She went to leave the room to speak with the other Healers about discharging Charlus', only to hear him call something after her. She paused in the doorway and looked over her shoulder.