Chapter Thirty-Three

WAS HE SUPPOSED TO FEEL GUILTY? Seeing his mother's deteriorating health and listening to her claim that she would be reunited with Orion and Regulus soon, Sirius didn't know how to feel

WAS HE SUPPOSED TO FEEL GUILTY? Seeing his mother's deteriorating health and listening to her claim that she would be reunited with Orion and Regulus soon, Sirius didn't know how to feel. After the way she had treated him for years, he didn't see his mother as human, only a monster that loved to put him down. Even his father, who also shared extreme views, he didn't put down Sirius nearly as much as Walburga did. And now that she was dying, he supposed to feel sorry for her?

Conflicted, Sirius wasn't sure if he was going to miss his mother or miss what could have been when it came to their relationship.

"You don't get to do this to me," Sirius told her, " you don't get to treat me like rubbish for years and expect everything to be fine, just because you're dying. It doesn't erase what you did. You still won't admit that you were wrong."

"Is that why you came here, Sirius, for an apology?" Walburga asked him. "Or did you come for a different reason?"

"I don't know what brought me here, honestly," he said, " other than the fact that my family is going to need a place to stay here shortly and we don't have many options. For some reason, I thought of this place because of all the enchantments Father put around."

"Family? You're talking about that deaf man-"

"His name is Charlus!" Sirius spat. "You know what his name is, just acknowledge him by it. He might be deaf but that doesn't define him as a person entirely. Why do you have to be this way, Mother? I don't understand. You brought Regulus and me up on these ideas that people who weren't pureblooded were beneath us. But then I meet some other purebloods, but they're not the 'right kind' of pureblood."

Walburga didn't say anything for a minute or so, and Sirius was beginning to wonder if he should check to see if she was still breathing. However, she let out a slight cough before continuing.

"So, are you trying to tell me that you Sirius Potter now or are you still Sirius Black? You are the last remaining male of the Black family, you can carry on the name-"

"It'll die with me,"  he answered with no hesitation. " I never got to change my name once Charlus and I married, only because other circumstances came up. But I don't mind being a Potter, it's actually an honour. Our family name is tainted with Dark Arts affiliation and prejudices, I don't want to take part in that anymore. It's best that this family dies out and becomes nothing more than something jotted down in history books."

"Who knew my firstborn would be the death of this family?"

"It didn't have to be this way. You could have supported me over the years, instead of making me try to hate myself. You're the one who turned their back on me when I was sorted into Gryffindor. You knew I had no control over it, and yet, you acted like I betrayed everyone in the family. If you had stood up for me, it would have made all the difference, but instead, you became the biggest bully of them all in this family."