Chapter Thirty-Four

DUMBLEDORE HAD EYES AND EARS EVERYWHERE and Charlus was certain that he had some sort of informant working at Gringotts

DUMBLEDORE HAD EYES AND EARS EVERYWHERE and Charlus was certain that he had some sort of informant working at Gringotts. But in reality, if they were going to survive while being on the run, it was best to have as much money on them as possible. There was no telling where they were going after the Grimmauld Place, as Maeve couldn't confirm her idea just yet. Between the Potter family fortune and the inheritance left behind to Sirius after his Uncle Alphard's passing, there was more than enough to let them live comfortably for quite some time.

And he wanted to give Maeve a chance to collect her money as well, after all, she had worked hard for her money it would be a shame to leave it behind. But Sirius and Charlus were in for quite the surprise because they weren't the only ones with fortunes to their name apparently.

The goblin that assisted them did not look pleased over the idea of three people taking out all their savings, especially when it was some of their wealthiest accounts. When asked why they were removing all of their money, Charlus noticed the suspicious look on the goblins face, but they claimed that they were moving and needed to relocate their money to a local bank for easier access.

Begrudgingly, the goblin had no other choice but bring the respective clients to their vaults. Sirius was first, forever thankful for his late uncle's kindness, as Alphard Black had left him his share of the Black family's fortune when he passed away. And risked being disowned posthumously by his own sister.  After living with the Potters, Sirius always felt guilty about Fleamont and Euphemia spending their money on him, even though they were never hurting financially. And having his own money helped ease his mind after Hogwarts, especially as they headed straight into war.

Charlus knew he and his brother were quite privileged growing up due to the Potter family fortune. And while they were quite spoiled in regards to getting things they asked for, they learned very early on that not everyone was as blessed as they were. Peter had been the first example of someone growing up with very little money to their name, and it was a very humbling experience when one year he claimed his mother couldn't afford the books for the upcoming term.

Naturally, they were all willing to help but suddenly, Charlus and James didn't feel like they needed to spend so much money. They realised the things they wanted weren't the things they necessarily needed and while it was nice to splurge some money here and there, they didn't have to do it all the time.

But when it came to Maeve's vault, Sirius and Charlus had to admit, they were quite curious to see how much she had accumulated since becoming a Healer. It was no secret that Healers were paid well, especially when they were high in demand. But as she stepped out of the cart to enter her vault, the men were left somewhat speechless. Apparently, Healers made better money than they thought.

"How much overtime were you putting in at St Mungo's?" Sirius asked, leaving Maeve to chuckle as they were leaving the bank. "Or am I missing something here?"

"Well, I wish I could say I earned all of this money by myself but that would be lying," Maeve answered. "Truth is, I told you that my father remarried, and my step-mother comes from a very wealthy family. When I set out on my own, they were both worried that I wouldn't find employment right away. Not because I wasn't qualified with my skills, but I didn't have a famous school to follow my name. The name of Beauxbatons and Hogwarts carry a lot more weight than being simply homeschooled. But nonetheless, they sent me off with some money, just in case."