Chapter Thirty-Nine

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE was not one to sit quietly and accept defeat

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE was not one to sit quietly and accept defeat. After receiving Charlus' letter, he knew his time to act was sooner rather than later. He should have known that Charlus would not accept only playing a simple role in Harry's life, he had made it very clear that he was seeking guardianship. In a perfect world, Albus wouldn't have been opposed to the idea of Charlus raising his nephew. It was only natural for him to want to raise the last of his blood relatives, especially the son of his twin brother.

However, while the ignorant sat in the bliss of a new era, believing everything was fine, Albus appeared to be the only one willing to plan ahead. Harry's location had not only been for the benefit of the child, but for the betterment of the wizarding world as a whole. At only one-year-old, Harry had done something that no one else had managed to do. He had survived the Killing Curse, with his mother's love acting as a shield. And while many believed it to be a fluke or just luck, Albus believed there was so much more to it.

When Tom Riddle had been his student, he had already been someone to be wary of. He was cunning and ambitious, the well-known traits of Slytherin, but he didn't use those traits to do any good. Instead, he only sought power for his own selfish cause. Bitter at his upbringing, scarred by his childhood, Tom wanted revenge but the people he was angriest with the most weren't around to be punished and what little punishment he was able to dish out, hadn't been enough to satisfy him.

As others let their guard down, they advised Albus to do the same. Even Headmaster Dippet had told Albus that he was reading into things way too much and needed to step back a little before he brought himself trouble. If only others hadn't been so easily fooled by Tom's charm, they could have seen the disaster coming. Only Albus had been fooled by charm once, looking at Tom had reminded Albus of looking at a younger Gellert Grindelwald.

Grindelwald had not been easy to defeat and Tom ( in Albus' opinion) was considerably worse than his former friend. People could call him paranoid or a pessimist, But Albus had a feeling that one day, Tom Riddle otherwise known as Voldemort would return. And if he did, it would be Harry that he would go after again. Tom never liked being challenged and Harry had committed the worst crime against him by beating Tom. If the two met again, Harry needed to be ready, and until then, he needed to be safe.

Charlus' concern about the Dursleys' treatment was minuscule in comparison to Harry being murdered. The Dursleys didn't care for magic, but they had been willing to take Harry into their home. Charlus was unable to see the bigger picture that Albus was attempting to set out and foolishly had decided to disrupt everything he had put together.

In Charlus' letter, he boldly stated that Dursleys were willing to hand Harry over and there was nothing he could do. But Albus had to see and hear it for himself because if Charlus was as manipulative and calculated as he was believed to be, there was a possibility that he had threatened the Dursleys.

Petunia Dursley was tired of wizards showing up on her doorstep unannounced, but she didn't vocalise it, especially when she saw Albus Dumbledore standing before her. She felt a sense of anger wash over her as he asked to be let inside to talk, but she didn't think she had much of a choice. But before Dumbledore could startup with little lecture or ask his thousands of questions, she decided to let him have it.