Chapter Thirteen

NO TIME WAS WASTED as Peter was magically bound and gagged

NO TIME WAS WASTED as Peter was magically bound and gagged. McGonagall sent out two owls, one to the Ministry of Magic and another to Albus Dumbledore to alert the Headmaster of what was happening. Meanwhile, Hogwarts had to carry on, as usual, it was her responsibility as Deputy Headmistress to keep things as organised as possible during times of chaos. For those that had not witnessed the scene in the corridors, by word of mouth, the story spread fast. But McGonagall gave quick instruction that all students were to report to their respective common rooms until further instruction.

Leaving Professor Sprout and Professor Flitwick in charge, McGonagall led Charlus to the Headmaster's office, while Peter was towed behind them. Even though he could not scream or talk for that matter, Peter tried to fight it with all his might. He tried to beg for mercy, unsure of what the consequences were going to be for his actions. However, it all fell on deaf ears as Charlus, too stunned by everything, continued to follow McGonagall quietly.

It had been one thing to theorize possible scenarios to prove Sirius' innocence, but Charlus never thought he would actually be right with the most far-fetched idea of them all. Peter was alive, maybe not well, but he was alive. Living incognito as a pet rat to the Weasley family after pretending that he was murdered that night. The explosion that everyone had witnessed had worked as an excellent cover-up, especially for a rat to escape and leaving behind only a finger had only added to the evidence that worked against Sirius in the long run.

And still, Charlus couldn't believe that it had actually happened. For Peter to grow up with him, James, and Sirius, only to sabotage them in the worst way possible. If Peter had been the spy in the Order all along, then more than likely, he was also responsible for Bellatrix and the other Death Eaters showing up that night when Charlus was attacked. Peter knew they were going to go through with the switch, Charlus would be left home alone, and it was the perfect opportunity.

Once Charlus was out of the picture, Sirius would be left vulnerable, and it would all spiral downward from there.

Peter claimed he had done everything for the sake of protecting himself and his mother, it would have been understandable if he had first attempted to ask for help. But he didn't. Instead, he attended every Order meeting, agreeing with everything that was said, drinking in every bit of information that he would later turn over to Voldemort and his followers. Charlus didn't feel pity for Peter in those moments, he almost felt numb to every feeling that attempted to overwhelm him.

McGonagall gave the password, allowing access to the staircase hidden behind a gargoyle statue. As soon as they reached the office, she urged Charlus to sit because he looked as though he was going to fall over at any given second. Peter was left on the floor and the only thing they could do was wait until someone arrived.

Charlus sat in a leather armchair, his eyes focused on Peter's body before he went for his wand. Peter flinched, anticipating being struck with a curse and McGonagall prepared herself to disarm Charlus so that he didn't do something he ended up regretting. However, Charlus merely lifted the Silencing Charm off of Peter, freeing his mouth once more to speak.