Chapter Twenty-Five

NOTHING HAPPENED

NOTHING HAPPENED. The smile on Fudge's face faded instantly as the dog remained on all fours, looking up at him. Confused, he turned to Charlus', who was glaring in his direction, while Maeve had her hands clapped over her mouth in shock. Remus looked as though he had lost ten years on his life span from the all the stress piled into one moment; the only one who was smiling was Rita as her quill feverishly jotted down everything that had just happened.

"B-b-but, the dog, it's black and-"

"As are plenty of dogs in the world, Minister," Charlus said. "Yes, this one, in particular, has black fur, and is in training to become my new hearing dog. You attempted to attack my prospective service animal."

Fudge's eyes widened as Rita's quill wrote down the claim. "What?! No, I didn't do that! I was attempting to reveal-"

"An accusation that you received from a war criminal that betrayed my family! You took his word over mine. How many times will you taint the names of the innocent and try to lock them up? Having Sirius serve six years wrongfully should have been enough. But because you faced embarrassment over your mistake, you attempted to cover it up with this nonsense."

"No, I-"

"You tried to accuse my husband to send him back to Azkaban to make it seem like you didn't make a mistake in the long run. And you were going to make Remus and I accomplices to send us to Azkaban to tie up loose ends. How low of you. And to make matters worse, you attempted to do this on Christmas Eve to keep the matter hushed. By the new year, people would learn what had taken place and you would get the new year off to a good start."

As Fudge scrambled to find the words to defend himself, Rita took a step forward with a feigned look of horror.

"And correct me if I'm wrong, Minister, but do you have a search warrant on you approved by Wizengamot?" she asked in an innocent tone. "Because if you don't, oh dear, that won't be very good, will it? Your only proof of evidence to defend your search was the word of Peter Pettigrew, who was found guilty and thrown in Azkaban. I can't imagine how they would take such news."

"YOU!" Fudge threw one of his fingers in Charlus' face. "You're as evil as they come! You...You planned all of this!"

"Me?" Charlus pointed to himself. "Minister, I was attempting to enjoy the holidays with my family. You came here on your own account, with two Aurors no less to stir up your own trouble. I was hoping to finish up a simple interview with Ms Skeeter and then share in a meal. You dared to show up here, not only accusing my husband but my late brother as well. You illegally searched Ms Elpis' home and then proceeded to attack an innocent animal!"

"If this isn't Sirius Black, then where is he?! Hmmm? Are you hiding him?"

Suddenly, the front door swung open, and Sirius walked in, dressed in wrapping paper with a bow, decorating the top of his head. He yelled out "Merry Christmas!" with his arms stretched in the air, only to freeze completely when he noted Fudge, the Aurors, and everyone else in the room staring at him.