Chapter Thirteen - Meet Reaching for the Same Book (Asanoya)

"What are you looking for today, Asahi?" Daichi asked.

"Just browsing this time , Daichi." Asahi said, walking into the book store his friend worked at.

"Don't forget we close in 15 minutes." Daichi called as Asahi rounded a corner of a bookshelf.

"I know." Asahi called back.

Asahi was looking through some books about people camping in the wilderness when someone reached out for the same book he was trying to grab.

"Sorry." Asahi said, releasing the book and turning towards the person who had seemed to suddenly appear next to him. "Oh." He said when he realized how short the new person was.

"Oh, it's fine! I'm Nishinoya Yuu! Did you want this book?"

"Umm.." This Nishinoya was very loud and talked very fast. Asahi didn't know how he'd managed to sneak up on him.

"You can have it, if you really want it!" Nishinoya said.

"I-It's ok, you can have it. I was just looking at it." Asahi stammered.

"Oi! Asahi! We close in 2 minutes, if you're buying get up here or get out!" Daichi called from the counter.

"Is Asahi-san your name?" Nishinoya asked.

"Azumane Asahi." Asahi said.

"Ah, Azumane-san. Do you know Sawamura-san?" Nishinoya asked.

"We went to high school together." Asahi said, slowing moving towards the counter to the safety of others.

"That's cool. I like your bun. How long is your hair?" Nishinoya asked, following him towards the counter.

"Past my shoulders I think." Asahi said.

"Woah! Hey Daichi-san!" Nishinoya called when they were in view of the counter.

"Hey Noya! Didn't realize you were here!" Daichi waved.

"I found a book!" Nishinoya called, waving the book in the air.

"Nice. You find anything Asahi?" Daichi asked.

"Not this time. Didn't give myself enough time to look." Asahi said.

"Well, Noya, guess you're my last costumer of the day. Get over here so I can get home." Daichi said.

After Nishinoya bought the book, he asked Daichi for a pen, opened his book and wrote something inside. "Here. Call me." Nishinoya said, handing the book to Asahi and dashing out the door.

"What'd he write?" Daichi asked, leaning over the counter.

"What?" Asahi was pulled from his shock.

"What did he write? He hid it so I couldn't see." Daichi said.

"I don't know." Asahi said, opening the book to the first page. "You seem like the pinnacle of beautiful men, in all caps, and a phone number."

"Are you going to call him?" Daichi asked.

"I'm not sure. He's very loud." Asahi commented.

"He can be. Can you wait a minute while I clock out and we can walk out together?" Daichi asked.

"Sure."

A little bit later Daichi came out from the back room. "Okay, let's go."

"Do you know him well?" Asahi asked.

"Noya?" Daichi asked, when Asahi nodded he continued. "We were on a community volleyball team for a while. He's a libero."

"Oh."

"So, are you going to call him. I know you were surprised by his loudness but I saw the way you looked at him." Daichi grinned, elbowing Asahi in the side.

"I don't know, Daichi. You know how I am around people I don't know very well."

"Call him. Ask if you can play volleyball with him sometime. He'll enjoy that."

"I might."

"You know how you are when you play... Ace."

"I'm not the ace anymore, Daichi. I haven't played since high school."

"So, call him and come practice with us."

"Ok. I will."

"Good." Daichi looked proud. "Now, why'd he give you the book to give you his number when he could have just written it on a piece of paper or something?"

"We were reaching for the same book. Grabbed it at the same time. I told him he could have it." Asahi shrugged.