8.

Violet was hanging out with Marie and they were talking to each other about regular things. "I'm so bored," Marie tells Violet. Violet smiled at her friend. "Then go to work." She sighed at Marie. Marie flipped her off, giggling. "Don't get smart with me, little one," she spoke to her gently.

Violet grinned at her, telling Marie that she was just teasing. The men offered to cut the hair today, giving the ladies a break. Because Violet was mute, the clients had to talk to the others, but they didn't mind as Violet could respond by smiles and eye smiles.

They were just resting in the break room that Ghost had built in for them when they just want to take a break. Because Richard loved to smoke, he took smoke breaks outside as Ghost didn't want the shop to smell of cigarettes and weed. Marie was drinking a beer while Violet was drinking purple pop. She was also writing in a diary that she started to keep after Ghost took her in. It was number four in her diary series with her newest book. "Dang, girl. You have like three of those things finished already?" Marie asked Violet, who smiled at her and Marie got her answer. "You gonna detail your whole life?" She asked with a tone of caution as she knew that Ghost was very protective of Violet and she didn't want to anger Ghost by probing into Violet's personal life, which she shared with Ghost. "Yeah, but only the personal details and the important stuff," Violet signed at her. Marie smiled at the answer. This girl is smart. She thought. She wondered how life could be if they all could have a regular life, but none of them could afford a regular life. They were born into the life of crime, but because Ghost didn't want them to go to jail or die, she taught them how to better themselves and she created a barbershop that was the most talked about shop in the city of Chicago. Hell, even the rich folks were trying them out now. 

Marie enjoyed the popularity, but she hoped that Deborah doesn't gain any enemies from the fact that her shop is so damn popular. She knew that people would kill for the most stupidest reasons and she didn't want Deborah to die over some crazy shit like that. "No one better not challenge her to a hair cut challenge," Marie spoke softly, but Violet heard her. She didn't respond as she knew what Marie was thinking and she thought that same thing. Please be careful, Deborah. She thought, hoping that Deborah would stay safe. 

Ghost was in her car, driving with Alex in the car with her. They were having fun, like a regular couple. Alex grinned at Ghost and she grinned back. "This is fun!" He announced to Ghost as he turned to watch her drive. The way her face was shining due to the sun's rays hitting her face. I can't believe this beautiful Queen chose me of all people to date, but I'm happy. He thought as he was content with his life at the moment. He felt complete with Ghost and he knew that she felt the same way. 

All of the sudden, bullets started to spray Ghost's car and Ghost stomped on the gas, panicking as she wasn't expecting to get shot at. She heard a groan and she feared for the worse. Slowly and painfully, she turned her head to look at Alex's condition. A scream of horror got stuck in her throat when she saw that a bullet had lodged itself into Alex's back. Alex breathed heavily as he coughed. "Hey, babe, what the hell happened back there?" Alex was talking like he hadn't got shot and Ghost realized that Alex moved to protect her. He took a bullet that was meant for her and tears started to pool in her eyes. 

"Why?" She asked him the only question she could think of at the moment as she dialed the hospital. 

"Because I love you. It's as simple as that," he answered, smiling as blood marked his otherwise perfect face as the blood dripped down his chin. Ghost kept Alex awake as long as she could as she waited for the hospital to arrive. When the paramedics had finally arrived, they had seen that it was Alex they had to treat and they immediately got to work to heal him. 

"Who are you?" One of the paramedics asked Ghost with a respectful tone. Another paramedic pushed the paramedic talking to Ghost away as she was simply talking to Ghost. Ghost glared at the paramedic that pushed the one talking to her.