Chaper 29

I stood staring at the closed elevator doors. The tug of regret was filling me. I want to believe that he's here for me, but I don't know what to think. On one part I want to believe it, on the other his words to Veronica haunt me.

I felt a hand on my shoulder. I jumped up in suprise. I met Chloe's eyes. "Sorry. I just want to tell you I made dinner." She looked away. "He probably just needed to get some fresh air. He'll be back soon. Then we can all sit down and eat."

"Stop doing that." I tell her.

"What do you mean?"

"The dinner. Stop trying to bring us together."

"I just wanted to do something nice."

"Do you know we're getting a divorce?"

Her eyes widen with denial. "What? That's not true."

"It is. I got what I needed. Charles gave me everything before he dropped dead. That means Omer is now free to run into his true loves arms and walk into the sunset. Happily ever after."

"This is about Veronica? He doesn't care about her."

"Really? So I didn't catch them kissing in his office? So I didn't hear him tell her how he would love to have a family with her? Chloe, you're very naive."

"He wouldn't do that."

"He did. I don't blame him. The only reason he married me was because I suggested it. I needed to get back what Charles stole from me. In exchange, Omer got 20% share of his competitor. Simple. Now I got what I wanted, he got want he wanted. It's done."

"Maybe... that's how it started, but I see the way you are with eachother. You can't fake that. I mean, this isn't how it's supposed to be."

"And how is it supposed to be with you?"

"We're supposed to be a family. He's supposed to be my Dad and you're supposed to be my mom."

"That's not going to change."

"Yes, it is. I don't understand how you're just going to give up like that? I mean don't you love him?" I stood silent. "Maybe you don't believe he loves you, but I know he does. He's been here day and night worrying about. Calling doctors, psychiatrists, trying to find ways to help you. He's doing your work, handling the media, everything for you. If that's not love, then I don't know what is. I can't even imagine what you're dealing with. I don't even know how you're still standing with everything that has happened. It not easy losing your parents, son, and ex-husband in the span of a few years. I don't know how you're not breaking down from all that shit. But I know what you're doing. You're pushing people away that care about you. People that only want to help you."

"I don't need help."

"Yes, you do. No one goes through what you are and just walks around life like nothing. It's not normal. I just know that whatever it is, Omer has done above and beyond for a person who you think doesn't care. Because from where I'm standing he cares alot."

She turned around and went to the kitchen. I stood there stunned. What did I do? I shouldn't have reacted like that. She shouldn't be caught in the middle like that. I mentally slapped myself for being so cynical.

I went into my room and closed the door. I leaned against it and tried to take in everything she said. Could it be true that he cares. I know he doesn't love me, but he cares. That's something right? Even then I know it isn't enough because I love him. I took a deep breath when I felt the pang of emotions welling up inside me. I push it away. I can't deal with that right now. I don't want to.