Chapter Thirteen: Riddle

"Are you really sure Aryn?" Viktor Lockett seriously asked his granddaughter for the nth time. Gone were the usual humor and pampering in his eyes.

Viktor knows very well how mysterious and eccentric that magical scroll is. When you answer it correctly, it gives you the Lockett family's token, signifying your right to become the Royal Tutor. Well, even if you don't choose to become the Royal Tutor and serve the king, just having the token can grant you many benefits.

But if you answer it incorrectly, it sometimes depends on the scroll if it'll let you off or punish you with sickness or poison. Death only befall on those who cheats and lies to the scroll.

"Yes, I am very sure grandpa." Serenity replied with a confident smile. Her mood finally lifted after learning that death isn't the punishment when you answered the riddle incorrectly and that the king, the supposed dignified and truthful monarch, lied to her to scare her off.

A melancholic sigh left the king's lips who is silently tagging along with them, "Why did you have to tell her the truth teacher? Now Aryn is too confident for her own good."

Serenity only clicked her tongue as the three of them went towards the large garden behind her grandpa's house. Her grandpa then proceeded to the large tree located at the far corner and signalled the king's shadow guard that has been following the three of them to push the large flat stone that is covered with moss and mushrooms which seems to blend well with the ground.

A guy wearing full on black clothing and mask suddenly appeared out of thin air and silently but swiftly push the stone, revealing a narrow and winding staircase. The three of them, now four because of the shadow guard, walked down the staircase very slowly as it does not have any source of light to show the steps.

After what seems like a few minutes, the four of them finally saw a light at the end of the staircase. And they were met with a large stone hallway, its walls covered with equally spaced torches emitting an amber glow. A few moss, cracks and cobwebs can be found here and there but despite so the hallway looks fine and well kept.

They continued to walk down the hallway and at the end of it is a face of a large black jaguar carved onto the walls, its large and open mouth serving as doors to the adjacent room. Its sharp yellow eyes gleaming as if alive.

"So, this is it Aryn." Viktor said as he held his granddaughter's hands tightly.

Serenity only gave him an encouraging smile, "It's okay. Trust in me."

"I know. Just, don't try to lie to the scroll. Even if you can't answer it... just don't try to cheat and lie. You know the consequences."

Serenity nodded then turned to the king who tapped her shoulders.

"Try not to die, okay? You're the only descendant of the Lockett family. I still want you to tutor my sons."

"I'll try, your majesty." She jokingly said as she pushed the doors open.

"Good luck." Her grandfather bid the last time as the doors behind Serenity slowly closed, separating her from the other three.

Are you ready, system?

[Ready, host.]

Serenity gave a resolute nod and slowly turned around to finally observe the room. Before she could even see a proper look of the room, a shiny golden light blocked her vision causing her to squint her eyes. She tried to avoid it and slowly let her eyes properly adjust to the room's lighting. And what Serenity saw shocked her.

Shiny gold bars and coins, rare gems, a few old paintings and antiques, medicines and old weapons littered the whole room. Even the walls seems to shine with golden lustre due to the very large illuminated pearl in the middle of the ceiling that serves as the only source of light. The valuable treasures circled around a simple wooden table containing a floating golden scroll.

"Who goes there?"

Serenity jumped a bit due to surprise. She suddenly saw a black mass of fur slowly went out from behind the table where the scroll is. Its golden eyes seems to be eyeing her curiously.

Bowing her head, Serenity greeted, "Onyx." While staring at the jaguar approaching her.

Not the least bit afraid of the large black beast in front of her knowing that the black jaguar, Onyx, means no harm to those who has no ill intent. What more when the said person is a descendant of the Lockett family. Onyx is only there to guard the magical scroll and the family's treasure.

Onyx is a spirit beast just like any other noble families has. Spirit beasts are ancient mythical beasts that protects the family or clan they are contracted with. They are the animal that represents each family like how the Royal Family has a lion to represent it. They are very mysterious and only shows itself to the public when there's trouble.

"Golden eyes. What's your name child?"

"Serenity Merle Lockett." She answered respectfully, trying not to offend this beast.

"Hm. What is your purpose child for coming here?"

Serenity then pointed to the scroll, "I actually want to try and answer the riddle."

"Are you sure child? Eventhough you're a Lockett, if you answer it incorrectly you'll be punished."

"I'm sure." Serenity said confidently.

The jaguar let out an amused growl, "Spoken like a true Lockett. Very well child."

Onyx then held its paw towards the scroll. His eyes shone very brightly as did the scroll. A few seconds later, the scroll unravelled itself as letters suddenly appears and slowly formed words on the scroll.

What can be swallowed but can also swallow you?

Serenity pondered over the riddle. She was about to ask the system when the jaguar warned her.

"Child, don't try to cheat. I am now connected with the scroll and we could sense a mytserious being backing you up. It's not worth the punishment."

Eyes widening in shock and horror, Serenity immediately asked the system to log off.

What the heck, Onyx can sense you?

[It seems I have underestimated the beast's sharp instincts. It must have been because Onyx is a spirit beast, he is more sensitive to spirits and souls. He must have sense me through your soul as I am connected to it due to the contract.]

I understand. Log off for now.

[But what about the riddle, host?]

It's okay. I'd rather answer it incorrectly than try to use you.

[If you say so host. I'll log off now.]

[System logged off.]

Serenity immediately kneeled and bowed her head, "I am sorry for offending the both of you."

The black jaguar seems to let out a sigh as he growled out, "Remember this warning well child. I'll let you off for now as you seem to know your mistake."

Serenity really did reflected on her actions. It was her fault this time. She completely disregarded the fact that someone or something might take notice of her system. Especially that she recently learned that the world she transmigrated into has magic. Although its not that much apparent in this continent.

But in all honesty, if Serenity just hadn't took advantage of her system's almost omnipotent abilities and just answered the riddle using her intelligence, this type of problem wouldn't have arised. Well, who could blame her knowing that she only did this to ensure her life.

"So back to the riddle child. What is the answer?"