Cole: Sing.

"...I'd go back in time and change it but I can't
So if the chain is on your door, I understand
But this is me swallowing my pride
Standing in front of you saying I'm sorry for that night
And I go back to December
It turns out freedom ain't nothing but missing you
Wishing I'd realized what I had when you were mine
I'd go back to December turn around and make it all right
I'd go back to December turn around and change my own mind
I go back to December all the time all the time..."

A crowd clapped as the sweet voice came to a steady cease. Some dropped coins into the musician's guitar case while others put their phones away and headed off to who knows where. Ironically, today was a mild December day in Jamanakai Village. Perhaps the musician sang this song as a memorial. 

Cole lingered in the waning crowd. The girl caught his attention. He wasn't sure why, but she looked so familiar to him. Maybe it was the way her silky (h/c) hair swished in the cold wind, or the sparkle of mischief and passion in her eyes. Had they met before?

As the girl packed her guitar and stashed her hard-earned money in her pockets, Cole approached her. "Uh, excuse me, have we met before?" His eyes were skeptical, as if questioning his own actions. Cole thought he was stupid, approaching some girl and asking her if they've met before out of the blue. Was he a weirdo? Regret immediately clouded his thoughts, and he was about to apologize before the girl met his eyes. The girl's eyes were the most beautiful shade of (e/c) and reflected the sun's rays perfectly, thought Cole. They held curiosity and just a hint of mischief.

She scrutinized Cole, and it made him feel uncomfortable. He hoped nothing was wrong with his hair or his face and clothes. "What's your name?" Cole nearly jumped out of his skin. He expected her to tell him off, but her reaction was gentler and only one of curiosity.

"C-Cole."

"As in..." The girl paused before a lightbulb went off in her head. "...the Cole that ran away from the Marty Oppenheimer School of Performing Arts Cole?"

Cole felt his cheeks heat up significantly. Was that all he was known for? The kid who ran away?

"As well as the Cole who is the Master of Earth?"

Nevermind, thought Cole. At least he was known for that. After all, he did have some fans. "Yeah, that's me." he said with an awkward laugh. Recognition felt great, didn't it? It seemed like time stopped for the musician. Her heart sped up and her cheeks were painted red. She couldn't believe her ears.

"What's your name?" questioned Cole.

The girl gulped and slung her guitar case over her shoulder. "O-oh. It's (Y-Y/n)."

All Cole could utter was a pathetic 'oh'. The two had quite the history together. They went to the same school as kids, were childhood friends, and also lovers for a short while. Conflict soon arose and that came to an end. "I see you've been...going places." said Cole awkwardly. He was refering to her musical talent, something he was secretly a little jealous of.

"I try..." (Y/n)'s gaze met her feet as if they were the most interesting thing in all of Ninjago. She ignored the increase of her heart beat and tried to keep her cool. It was only Cole, she thought. An elemental master whom was a hero, her hero...and her ex. A warmth filled (Y/n)'s chest. It was almost burning hot, but not scorching like the sun. She wondered what this feeling was, but kept to herself in the awkward silence.

"I-I gotta go..." started Cole slowly. He began to walk away, but (Y/n) took a hold of his wrist. Oh, was this a drama? Why was everything so dramatic?

"I'm sorry."

"What?" Cole was utterly confused. Sorry? What had she done? After not seeing (Y/n) for over five years, all she says is 'sorry'? Not a 'how are you' or a 'what's it like being a ninja', but a 'sorry'? Cole furrowed his thick brows. "What do you--"

"I walked out on you when I shouldn't have because I thought you would hate me. You were always there for me, yet...look, if I could, I'd go back in time and make it right, but time can only move forward," her voice lowered, "especially for someone like me." (Y/n) met Cole's eyes. "I was stupid, and I'm not asking for forgiveness because you don't have to forgive someone like me. Just remember this: find someone who's worthwhile, and if they're the right one...don't ever let them go."

Cole blinked, and when he opened his eyes, in (Y/n)'s place stood nothing. "(Y/n)?" he called. There was no answer but the cool wind of December.

He still loved (Y/n) after all those years. He really did, yet she slipped through his fingers again. (Y/n) thought so lowly of herself that she left Cole and the ninja, but what if she was the one? If she truly were, then how could he not let her go? She was already gone, and there was nothing Cole could do.

(Y/n), daughter of Acronix, somehow always made his heart sing. Cole only hoped to meet her again.