Garmadon: Dad

Dad:
The legend
The myth
The one I perhaps forgive

Even after Garmadon turnt 'good' and 'every once of evil has left him', I couldn't forgive him. He left me on my own. If he weren't evil, then maybe I would've had a complete family. Maybe I would've had a mother and father figure in my life, and maybe I wouldn't have been left out on the streets to fend for myself. If it weren't for -- sorry, let me take a deep breath.

As I was saying, he ruined my life, and so did mom. But more so, dad ruined it. If it weren't for him, this...burden wouldn't have fallen on my shoulders. I wouldn't have had to become one of the Elemental Masters to protect my baby brother, and I wouldn't have to play hero and dress-up. My baby brother always needs to be protected because he's too soft-hearted and weak to fend for himself. If he knew what I had seen as a kid, he would have toughened his own skin too. Everyone says I'm cold, but that's for obvious reasons.

The deck's door opened with a loud creak. A man older than Sensei Wu emerged. He took a seat next to me. My eyes never met his and continued to watch the clouds roll by as the waves gently lapped at the Bounty's sides. "Nice day today, eh?" I ignored the voice and inched away in irritation. He tried again to spark a conversation. "How is your leg?"

"It's been a week and a half since you 'accidently' blasted me through the streets of Ninjago City while being possessed by the Overlord. Just peachy Garmadon."

"That's oddly specific..."

My jaw clenched so hard that my teeth began to hurt. There was an awkward silence between us. It was so quiet (save for natural sounds) that I almost thought he left to save himself from embarrassment.

"Is there anything I can do to melt the ice?"

My head snapped around so fast that I thought it would break. A fire burnt in my eyes and I felt my throat constrict. "Ice?" I spat.

He sighed, as if contemplating on his next move. He was trying to talk to me, but I really didn't want to see his face. It was like rubbing salt in a wound. "You are bitter and cold (Y/n). I want to help before it freezes you from the inside out."

A small, cynical laugh escaped my throat. "You help me? You ruined my life! I had no one, no father, no mother, no nothing until Mistaké found me half-dead on the streets! Because of you, I had no friends when I went to school. They said I was just like you and that I'd poison their minds if I even said a word to them!

"Mistaké was the only one there for me. Where were my parents to pick me up from school? Nowhere because I had to walk home for miles; Mistaké had a shop to run, and she doesn't even own a car." I inhaled sharply. "All my schoolmates skipped school to hang out with their dads on Father's Day, leaving me all alone in the classroom every year. But where were you? Wrecking havoc, attempting to create a Ninjago that fit your own image, and hurting so many people. Y'know, my classmates made fun of me and bullied me. They used to throw punches at me like it was a game. I came home with bruises and blood everywhere everyday. At least Lloyd had some respect at Darkley's. He even had the ninja to comfort him all the time. 'Lloyd don't beat yourself up over that', 'Don't worry, we'll get 'em next time'.

"I'm cold, bitter, whatever everyone calls me because of you!" My voice cracked and I felt like I was having a hard time breathing. It suddenly felt really hot. My cheeks were on fire and I suddenly began to sweat even though today was on the cooler side. Maybe I was finally tipping over the edge to the breaking point.

"They say your father or your mother is your first hero," I continued, "but both of you were never there for me. Because you're my...my father, my life was complete trash! You don't know how much I hate you!" Tears stung my eyes like thorns. Turning away, I furiously mopped my eyes with my (colour) sweatshirt.

I quickly stood and nearly fell over. My head spun and my surroundings began to blur. I felt like someone took a hammer and slammed it onto my head. The pain became so unbearable that I closed my eyes and sat right back down. When I did, my head hit the floor.

---

My eyes opened slowly. Perhaps that whole conversation was a dream? I really hoped so. By the looks of the (f/c) sheets, unfinished artwork scattered on the floor, and the Starfarer posters, I was back in my room. My eyes suddenly caught my sweatshirt neatly folded on a chair. I jolted up in slight terror and fear. Nope. Definitely not a dream. I wore that sweatshirt earlier before I...

Oh. Oooh.

The door opened with a slight creak and Garmadon calmly walked in. I felt my heart stop as he handed me a tall glass of water. His eyes never left me as I downed the water in a single gulp. Once I placed the cup on ny nightstand, I averted my gaze to my hands. "As of now, you have a fever. What have you been doing to grt so sick so suddenly?" he said. Images of training flashed through my mind. But not just any training, intense training in the rain and ocean from about a week or two ago. I pursed my lips anxiously. "You know what? Just rest. There are more important matters to discuss." Whatever he did, I didn't want any questions or comments about--

"Did your classmates do this to you?"

My hands began to shake, and it took all of my willpower to keep it subtle. I didn't like talking about all the scars and wounds still in the process of healing. Simply talking about them was hard enough, but having one of the people you loathe see you in such a state? That's humiliating, scary even. "I...partly..."

"Partly?" Garmadon repeated. I lowered my head into my hands in an attempt to keep my breathing steady. "F-failed suicide attempts..."

I heard Garmadon's breath hitch. It was as if his whole world had completely stopped. He was silent for half a minute, then a whole minute, then two, and three until he finally shifted in my swivel chair uneasily. My chest rose up and down unsteadily no matter how hard I tried to keep my cool.

A sob soon escaped my throat and it was like the whole sky crashed down on my shoulders. I didn't look at him, no, I couldn't look at him. To see me in such a vulnerable state, it hurt my pride. I was supposedly one of the strongest and toughest on the team, yet here I was. A scared little girl.

Hesitantly, Garmadon opened his arms and wrapped me in a warm embrace. The last time he actually hugged me was before he disappeared when I was three. It almost reminded me of better times, but the worse ones weren't so easily erased.

And now he was here. Hugging me and holding me tight while I cried into his shoulder like a pathetic little baby. This only caused me to sob even harder than before. I was weak, and I despised it. "I-I hate you...!" I cried, clutching his gi. "Why are you so damn nice to me all the time...?!" 

"Because I owe you so much more than you think. Both your mother and I."

We sat in silence for a while, save for my choppy breathes and hiccups. My sobs soon calmed to shallow breaths, and it was then that Garmadon rocked me back and forth, like a baby, may I add. As much as I hated it, it soothed me and calmed my busy mind. My breathing evened out and the tears slowly ceased. "You are more hurt than you let on, daughter, and for that, I am deeply sorry."

As much as I didn't want to admit it, I missed Garmadon -- no, not Garmadon, I missed my father, my dad. I still didn't forgive him (he has a long way to go to earn it), but I was open-minded enough to slowly accept him back into my life. My hate was still burning bright, but a little bit of water was slowly seeping its way over it that fire.

"I still don't forgive you."

Father chuckled. "I know, I still don't forgive myself either."