19. What he came for

An amber glow spilled out into the garden, surrounding Taehyung where he knelt amongst the begonias. Watching Jimin and Jungkook study, again.

The boys were lit from behind, silhouettes dripping with light like honey. Angelic figures contained in a perfect rectangular frame. The windows were so spotless it looked like Taehyung could've reached right in and touched them.

Jimin's lips curled back over his teeth in a grin as he spoke. Jungkook raised a coquettish brow at the older boy before leaning in against the table. They were transfixed by one another. Just as Taehyung was by them. What he would've given to have his camera right then, to capture their beauty, the halos of light bleeding from around them into the night.

Taehyung tried to read their lips as he had before, but they didn't move in a way he understood. He dared to move closer, carefully stepping around the flowers so as to avoid crushing them under his step.

Still, he understood nothing. He was hardly four feet from the window now. Too close. And still the tongue they spoke seemed foreign.

As Jungkook shifted closer to Jimin, his shadow shifted as well. Taehyung had been standing in it without realizing, but now the bright light struck both his eyes. He squinted, raising a hand to shield himself.

When he lowered it, he realized the scene before him had changed.

The same light that had blinded him had also illuminated his ghostly visage, hovering outside the window in the cool night air.

Jungkook was staring straight at him.

Taehyung felt his spine buzz and his limbs go stiff. He was suddenly growing roots from his soles and he couldn't have run even if he tried.

He was caught.

It was too late.

But a strange look came over Jungkook. Confusion was definitely part of it. He must've been wondering why on earth Taehyung was standing in his garden at 10pm on a school night. But the look in his eye was more than confusion alone.

Now Jimin's eyes were trained on him too.

Jungkook slid open the nearest window, eradicating the only barrier Taehyung had between himself and utter humiliation. His mind began racing for an excuse.

"Taehyung?" Jungkook sounded unsure, as if the name belonged to someone he'd just met. "What are you..."

"Hi, um... I had a question. A homework question," he managed to choke out.

Jimin scoffed from inside.

"I have a front door," Jungkook said, still sounding confused.

"And it has this great little button next to it," Jimin piped up, crossing his arms over his chest. "All you have to do is press it when you want someone to open the door for you. Works like magic,"

Taehyung swallowed hard, but it felt as though there were cottons balls in his throat.

"I'm sorry, I..." he had no excuse. He had nothing to say. His cheeks were practically scalding.

"Well, you're here now," Jungkook opened the window even further, leaning out. "Just come in," He held out a hand.

Taehyung stared at it blankly.

"Come on, don't just stand there, I'll pull you up," Jungkook reached his hand out further, motioning for Taehyung to take it.

He hesitated, nervously glancing at Jimin before coming forward to take Jungkook's hand, managing to get a foot up on the house's foundation. Jungkook hoisted Taehyung up through the window without much difficulty.