Missing Hours for Yogyakarta by Zelin Prastika

Picture 1 Picture by Ferganata Indra Riatmoko from Kompas

"Those who have ever been to Yogya say, every corner of Yogyakarta is special. Because there is longing that will be created there. This time the difference is, the longing is not only between you and I or she and he. But it can be you and the city." -A Traveller

Wide sidewalks, lots of cyclists; motorized pedicab; also horse-drawn carriage, and I was lucky, to watched a cultural parade of Javanese to commemorate special days. In addition, buildings such as museums, fortresses, and replicas of center Yogyakarta map that look antic, historic, and instagrammable at the same time. Yogyakarta has it all.

For travelers who are just starting to explore big cities that are unique due to its culture, Yogyakarta is a destination that cannot be missed. Of the many popular destinations in Yogyakarta, the following 3 choices of major destinations are 'must visit' for travelers.

Feel the Hustle and Bustle of Malioboro
Usually, if you go to Yogyakarta, you will definitely get stuck saying, 'where can I find the signboard "Jl. Malioboro"?' Whether is it the desire to see it in person, or the desire to take a picture to share on social media, or the desire to have your own memories with this particular destination? It feels like it is not complete yet if you haven't met a sign that reads 'Jl. Malioboro' which is famous to mark 'finally I have lived my life to go to the heart of Yogyakarta'.

Malioboro itself is the name of one of the roads which becomes the center of tourist destinations in Yogyakarta. This road stretches from Yogyakarta Monument to the intersection of the Yogyakarta Post Office. What can you do while walking between the hustle and bustle of Malioboro?

Shopping and eating.
Be cautious with your pocket when you have set foot on Malioboro. There are a lot of traders offering products with distinctive Yogyakarta identity. Ranging from clothing, accessories, bags, stationery, home decorations, key chains that are certainly iconic, purses, to their typical delicacies such as bakpia, dodol, and brem. The prices offered by traders are usually quite high, so it's good to have bargaining skill so you can get affordable prices and bring home lots of souvenirs.

Sitting back and relax.