Only a Dream?- Sasuke

There were more than just a few things running through Sasuke's head.

   Homework, a level he couldn't beat, Sports, Naruto, Itachi and most especially you. Sprawled across the bed, the pudding head rolls over in his back, attempting to calm his racing heart with whatever he could manage. His ears perk up at the sound of raindrops batting against his window and for a moment he finds peace in staring out the window.

    Before every single bit of that peace shatters like glass.  

    Where did he go wrong?

    He asked himself. Rather, where did everything go wrong? He tried so hard to understand but somehow his mind couldn't quite seem to grasp a concrete solution and he loses to himself even more.

    Staring up at the dull ceiling above, the ravenette's heart tinges in pain.

    He should have understood a long time ago. Looking back now, he realizes just how big of an idiot he seemed

    . Those fleeting glances of yours that never looked the same, your smiles that never seemed to shine his way or the subtle look of distress on your face whenever he felt brave enough to try to kiss you. Sasuke should have known better, you should have known better. Then maybe, just maybe, things wouldn't have had to end the way things did.

   Sasuke's thoughts ran faster that they did before and every memory he spent with you seemed to fade into darkness. Into nothingness, crumpled like a piece of old paper and tossed into the trash. Flames lap at the image of your smile and a screech akin to sadness and grief overlaps the solemn tone of your voice he grew to love.

    Maybe it was for the best. Scratch that, it was for the best. But no matter how many times he try to reassure himself of the various possibilities, he couldn't seem to find the heart to blame you.

   He couldn't blame anyone but himself for his shortcomings.

    He loved you. Truly he did, but if you were never his to begin with there was nothing he could do. He believed in you but blinded as you were, you turned around and left.

  Straight into Shisui's arms.

  He sobbed silently- the cries ripped out his throat. His heart mourned for you. Heart cried for you. Heart belonged to you- wrapped around your fingers.

  But that wasn't enough.

He took a glance at the small tub and shook it- ignoring the small fear in his head and took the lid off.

(Name), you're still haunting me.

He blinked and shot up- panting.

  Even in my dreams.