Grow up - Shisui

He had been living with his beloved wife in the new house for more than a month, and he was still trying to adjust to the new lifestyle. Itachi, the son of a friend, had been there for less than an hour, and he already looked as comfortable as if he had grown up there his entire life.

Sometimes, he mentally frowned, life just wasn't fair.

"Shisui," His wife, (Name), frowned warningly – a dangerous tone in her voice, causing him to wince. "Finish the vegetables."

   Looking down at his plate, Shisui smiled weakly when he realized that he had subconsciously pushed all the vegetables to one side of the plate. They seem to want to go there anyway..but—

    "Sorry," he mumbled as he shoved a forkful into his mouth, making a face at the healthy taste. How could she eat this stuff? I will never understand the appeal. Real shinobi shouldn't eat rabbit food. They should eat ramen, which was instant and clean! Of course, he snorted, he wasn't stupid enough to say those thoughts out loud. His wife would skin him alive.

     "No wonder Tou-san said that the standards for choosing ninja have dropped." Itachi commented out loud, causing Shisui to snap out of his inner musings. "Brains are not as important as brawns, I guess."

       He scowled. Why that little...!

     "Shisui Uchiha! Can't you behave yourself for a minute?! Act your age for once, will you? There's a child present!"

    The man shrunk back into his chair.

    "What if Tachi-chan sees you as a role model and decides to copy your horrendous manners?" His wife growled.

...

      "Not a chance," Itachi muttered to himself.

***

       "Child?" The word was ripped from his throat like acid. The devil's prized spawn was more like it!

   But I won't ever dare say that to her...

...

"Wake up."

...

"It's Saturday," The Uchiha growled when his wife poked him again. "I don't have to go until noon."

      "Yes, I know, but I still have to work in the morning."

     "Ugh...bye?" he asked, hoping that was the answer she was looking for...

      Irritated,  (Name) promptly pulled the covers down."Get up! Now."

...or not.

. "Yes?..."

.

.

.

"Is he always this lazy?"

He twitched.

...

     He had to go shopping...with him? And why was that brat glaring at him again? What did he do now? Deciding that the kid simply had some weird issues, he turned and growled, "Come on, brat, let's go."

   Itachi refused to budge.

"What is it now?" He demanded, peeved.

    "Hn," Itachi snorted, turning up his nose.

      "Well, I don't remember asking you for your opinion." Shisui ground out through clenched teeth as he grabbed his arm. Dragging the Demon Spawn through the streets, it took him a second to realize that they were the only ones moving on the street. Everyone else had stopped to watch them.

    "Uh..." He blinked.

    The crowd of people blinked back.

       He blinked again.

     Finally, the silence broke.

.

.

.

     " Shisui-sama, that is no way to treat your son!" a woman chided, plowing on without stopping. "You may not realize this, Shisui-sama, but that's a form of abuse!"

    "Abuse?!" echoed Shisui. What?! As if it burned, he immediately released the boy's wrist. He hadn't meant to hurt the brat! He had just been so irritated, he hadn't... Wait, did she just say –!

   Rolling up his sleeve, she pointed to the ring of dark bruise that was beginning to form there. "I know you're new to this, Uchiha-sama, but you can't treat your son this way! Even if he was wrong, you should never have never taken his punishment this far!"

     "W-Wait.... He's not my –"

    Itachi snorted as if he had heard his thoughts and agreed with it.

    Taking a deep breath, Shisui whispered to himself, "Be the grown-up, let it go. Be the grown-up, let it go..." Continuing his chant, he felt his eyes being unexplainably led to the growing bruise on the brat's wrist. Feeling slightly guilty, he gestured awkwardly to the bruise. Had he really –?

       The brat sneered.

      And he felt his jaw drop in disbelief. The brat actually sneered – perfectly too! He was only what – five?! What do ninja teach their children anyway? To fight before they walk and sneer before they talk? Unbelievable!

    "There's no need to stare." Itachi cut in coldly, rolling down his sleeves. "I'm not as fragile as you, Shisui-san."

     He could only watch the black-eyed child walk ahead of him.

  "You need to grow up, Shisui."

   The kid turned with a small smile.

     .

.

.

   "Or I'll steal (Name)-sama when I'm older."