18. Blustery Night

California was a dry state. They were in the middle of a drought so rain storms weren't frequent and they didn't occur often. However, when they occurred, they were dramatic and it always drove people to stay in their homes because of the heavy wind and extreme coldness from the two elements. Driving in the rain wasn't exactly fun or easy. Camila couldn't remember the last time she drove in such a heavy downpour, but here she was; on a completely empty road at eight thirty on a Saturday night.

She was on her way to Shawns house. Her and Shawn had planned on hanging out that night in an attempt to get their minds off the stress of everything going on in their lives at the moment. They always forgot about all of their worries that way; when they were together. Her fingers beat against the steering wheel as the song she was currently obsessed with sounded through the vehicle and the lyrics fell from her mouth in perfect harmony. The rain hit harshly on the windshield as the wipers tried to keep her view of the dark road clear.

Out of nowhere, a sputter sounded from the front of car. Her eyebrows furrowed and immediate worry uncoiled itself in her stomach. She pulled to the side of the road just as the car died down. "No, no, no, no." Camila muttered as the sound of the car stopped, engine finally faltering. She turned the keys a few times, hoping the car would start up again but it never did.

Camila grabbed her phone from the purse in the passenger's seat and decided to try and call Shawn. With her luck, there was no cell reception. The harsh rain and wind must've blown down the cell towers. "Are you fucking kidding me?" She groaned, turning off her phone and shoving it back into her small, black purse. Well she had two options, she could either walk to Shawns house or sit in the car all night. Neither of her choices seemed the best, but the former was the easier one. His house was maybe a five minute walk and it couldn't be that bad, so that's what she went with.

Pulling the keys from the ignition and holding them in her small hands, she pulled the hood of her hoodie onto her head and put the strap of her purse on her shoulder. As soon as she opened the car door, a burst of wind hit her face and the sound of the rain grew louder. Camila immediately began to second guess her decision, but went with walking anyways. A groan sounded from her mouth when she stepped out of the car and almost instantly became soaked. She closed the door and used the button on her keys to lock up the vehicle.

True to her belief, the walk was five minutes long, but it felt much longer. She shivered as she trudged up the steps of Shawns house. Her shoes squeaked as they hit the hard surface and her feet were nearly numb from sitting in their soaked environment. Camila knocked on the wooden door, fingers just as cold as the rest of her body. The door opened quickly, Shawns face coming into view. The excited smile on his face fell as soon as he saw the state his best friend was in.

Shawns jaw immediately dropped as he saw how soaked she was. Camila continued shivering as he looked at her. "Well are you going to let me in?" Camila's voice shook from the coldness that took over her body. He opened the door wider, allowing her to walk into the warm house.

"What the hell happened to you?" Shawn asked, closing the door.

Her arms were crossed over her chest, trying to preserve the little body heat she had. "M-My car died and I had to walk the rest of the way here." Camila answered with a slight stutter.

"Why didn't you just call? I would've picked you up." He motioned her toward his bedroom so he could give her something warmer to wear.

Shawn grabbed a clean towel from the closet and set it on the dresser. "I was going to, but I had no cell service." He opened the drawer on his dresser and grabbed one of his grey hoodies, handing it to her along with the towel. "You're a lifesaver. Thank you, Shawn."