Chapter 10 - Packing Heat

After

It was the night of the full moon.

Kit's back was still aching, but his healing had sped up as the moon grew, filling out from half-circle to round. He had never run together with a pack before.

Working at Marvin's was comforting. It was hectic and loud and left no room for thinking or worrying about anything else. The only hiccup so far had been the stern order Marvin had given him after finding him snogging a college girl in the hallway outside the bathrooms: 

"Hands off the customers." 

Kit doubted that pointing out that she had kissed him first would do him much good, so he decided to dial back the professional flirting a bit. He should be able to put his head down and just work, right? How hard could it be?

But tonight he had other problems. And two of them were getting out of a car in front of Morgan's house, waving at him.

"You alright there, Charlie?" Dan called up. Ronan stood beside him, with the same calm and commanding air he always seemed to exude. 

"Ready?" he asked.

"As I'll ever be."

They drove along the gravel paths into the mountains, to a different area than the one Kit had hiked through. It was going to be his first time running with other werewolves, and found himself worrying at his bottom lip, nervous.

Stupid. After everything, you're worried about this? 

But he was. Worried, more than anything, that he would like it. His breath was coming in short pants. Was it hot inside the car? He hadn't thought so before. 

The full moon heightened all of their senses. Kit could smell Morgan and Justin more clearly than ever, the wool and woodfire and cinnamon of them, the sweat and books and alpha and beta. They smelled...better than before. 

Before he could think about that too deeply, Kit got out of the car. 

The others walked up to him, forming a half-circle around him. He could sense a tension in the air, excitement, anticipation. They already looked less human in the silver moonlight, so bright it cast sharp inky shadows on the ground around them. 

Instead of feeling threatened, Kit felt their excitement spread to him. He cast out with his senses, feeling them sharper than any other night of the month, grinning and breathing in. 

Their combined scents hit him like a thick blanket, enveloping him in an instant. He staggered

"Gah!"

The others shifted, Ronan sweeping out a hand and stepping forward.

"What is this?!" Kit wheezed. 

"...Omega pheromones, I think. Because of the full moon. Haven't you ever felt this before, Charlie?"

"No!!!"

"Have you ever been around werewolves on a full moon? Alphas?" Ronan asked, covering his nose with his hand.

"Ugh... no, never..."

"That might be why, then." 

Kit doubled over, gasping for breath. He wrapped his arms around himself, fever crashing over him in waves. He was panting, mouth open, shivers running up his arms. In his 21 years he had never felt anything like this - wanting, yearning so hot it was almost painful.

"What...the hell...is this?" he gasped.

Ronan was sweating too, face taught, arms crossed over his chest.