Closing Remarks

A huge thank you to each and every one who has read this story! It means a lot, and really keeps me motivated :)

Did you feel that the story lived up to it's title, and to the promise of 'blood and sex' in the Warning? Did you like the ending?

If you have any thoughts or feedback, drop me a comment. It's always interesting to hear what you think.

To me, Carmen is the story of a charismatic, alluring troublemaker - and outsider in society who stands up for herself and goes after what she wants, no matter the cost.

When she gets imprisoned after a fight, she seduces her captor - José - and then runs away with him.

But once she gets to know him she realizes that she can't love José and leaves him behind, eventually falling for a better man.

He - her former captor (now her metaphorical prisoner) - has become obsessed with Carmen and tracks her down. He demands that she love him - otherwise he will kill her.

Carmen declares that she would rather die than give up her freedom.

I have always found the these themes - love, freedom, obsession, and the price of revenge - very interesting. The shifting power balances between the characters is another thing that draws me to this story. 

The operatic interpretations often take José's side and portray Carmen as a vile seductress who had it coming to her. I wanted to tell the story from a different angle and with a different ending.

Hope you enjoyed it!

// Fletchley Rose

PS. Please feel free to check out my other story about Kit - Lovely Bastards!