Chapter 22 - Devil at the Crossroads

After

Kit was surrounded.

Unarmed, shirtless, bleeding, his feet placed squarely a shoulder-width apart, hands at his sides, elbows and knees slightly bent. Facing a half-circle of grim werewolves - as ready as he would ever be.

"Start talking."

The pack stood facing him, Ronan a few feet away with his muscled arms crossed over his chest, mouth a thin hard line. Beside him, papers that looked vaguely familiar were spread across a tabletop.

They had moved out into the restaurant were the group could spread out while keeping a distance to Kit. He could see the contents of his beloved bag, gutted and arranged on top of the bar behind Dan.

Dan.

It hurt like a physical blow, every time he looked at his expression.

"What do you want to know?" He kept his chin down, voice low and guarded.

"Is it true? Did you kill your uncle, Charles Callaghan?" Ronan asked grimly.

"I didn't kill Charlie. Not him. I have an alibi."

"Why do the police think you did then?"

"I never gave them my alibi. I thought they knew who did it - they identified him on the security footage and he had a record. It didn't occur to me that they would figure I was in league with him until later. By then I had other things to worry about."

"Wait," Dan said, looking up from the floor. "You said - not him. You didn't kill him. But someone else?"

Kit closed his eyes. This was it. Lie - say No, I have never killed anyone, I'm innocent.

Or tell the truth.

"Yeah," he said, swallowing hard. "Yeah, I've killed. Seven people."

Dan made a choking sound. Now he would see. Now he knows what I really am.

"Seven," Morgan whispered, horrified. Ronan's frown deepened.

Kit's raised shoulders slumped. So be it. There was nothing that could ever redeem him from this, ever make them accept him again.

"Yeah, seven," he said in a tired voice. "One was an accident. One for revenge. Two in self-defence. And three...because I was ordered to."

He looked down, shoulders coming up around his ears again.

"Now you know," he whispered.

"Why would that man kill your uncle?"

"Why did he kill Charlie? The mob wanted his husband's business - and they sent an idiot, a trigger-happy, ambitious guy with something to prove. Things escalated and - shots were fired. Happens all the time."

"And for the record, your real name is?"

"Christopher Callaghan."

Ronan nodded and picked up a stack of ID:s from the table behind him, shuffling through them.

"Robert Carmichael, 20, British. Constantin Alexandrov, 17, Russian. Camile Chaput, 19, Canadian. This one is for an 18-year-old girl - Carmen Carvaggio, born Mexico City. They all have your picture."

"Those are mine. I tracked down the man who had murdered my uncle and I killed him. I return I had to work for his boss - a really, really bad guy who is now looking for me. He got me those fake ID:s."

Kit threw his hands up. "Look, I know it's illegal - I've done lots of illegal shit. But you're all in danger, and I can't stay here. Now that you know why - get rid of me!"