Chapter 17 - I Love You, Kitty

(A/N: Extra warning for dubcon/noncon in this chapter. If that might be triggering for you, please proceed with caution.)

Before

Kit struggled weakly as Devlin carried him, like a morbid, blood-streaked caricature of a bride, over the threshold into his dark bedroom. Shock made him weak and disoriented. He could still see blood squirting before his eyes - her screams and wails in his ears, the gurgling, awful silence when they cut short -

He had seen more people die during his last nine months with Devlin Novák than he cared to remember. But they had been stabbed in vicious brawls, caught in drive-by shootings, or executed kneeling and bound. Faceless, hard, tattooed men.

Not a warm, naked and panicked girl that he had brought there. That he had led to the Devil.

My fault, my fault.

Kit had never stepped foot in Devlin's bedroom. He registered that it was muted and sparse and stylish like a hotel suite, before he was unceremoniously deposited on the plush bed.

Earlier that night, they had strode into the packed nightclub together. Devlin had led him straight up to the VIP area, where several representatives from one of the most prominent gangs in San Fransisco were waiting. For an informal...meeting. 

Long-limbed, lightly-clad young women were draped across the furniture, their heavy-lidded eyes watching the vampire appreciatively. 

Kit sank down onto a black, faux leather-clad divan next to a strawberry blonde in a low cut wrap dress and stiletto heels. He saw that she had tiny diamonds glued to her eyelashes. She was pouting, eyes trained on a dark-haired man who was clearly ignoring her. 

He followed her gaze to him and then over to Devlin, drinking and talking, leaning back, relaxed and self-assured. Kit had focused on helping him for months, trying to make himself invaluable, but if he ever wanted a chance to escape... He needed to destroy some of that perfect self-control. 

Turning towards the girl next to him, he smiled at her.

"Hey... do you want to get his attention? Get him to look at you again?"

She looked at him, eyes wary, but interested. Kit let his smile slip into a smirk, leaning forward to whisper into her ear.

"How about we put on a show?"

Kit continued kissing her, hand behind her neck. They had been at it for a while and had the attention of most of the VIP section. He inched his other hand up along her thigh, underneath her skirt, and one of the men watching whistled.

Stroking her soft skin, raising goosebumps, he brushed across her damp silk panties, earning a soft sigh. Encouraged, he rubbed two fingers across the outside, pausing to circle the button at the top, then slipped one finger in along the side, searching for velvety softness as he deepened their kiss.

Suddenly his head was yanked back, a hand grabbing his choker. Was it her man?

No - he was still watching them hungrily... Fuck. 

Devlin's eyes burned into him as he hauled Kit up until only his toes brushed the ground.

The Czech Devil's normally nonchalant expression looked murderous. But why? He had handed Kit off to plenty of people...of his own choosing. Oh shit.

One microsecond later Devlin's face was calm again. Placing Kit back on his feet, he offered his arm to the strawberry blond.

"Shall we?"