(Bonus Story) Darren's Mate - Do You Want Me?

"Ma - Mar - Gah - Wha - ?"

"I don't want to!"

"Then - fuck - then don't! Who said anything about - you wanted to come to dinner!"

Darren glanced away from Spencer but none of his family were any help. Morgan looked worried, Justin exasperated, Ronan resigned, Dan amused, and Kit mouthed 'I told you so' at him.

Instead of flipping him off as he usually would, Darren turned back to his mate.

"I, Jeez, I don't know... What do you... what do you want?"

Spencer crossed his arms but looked down. He looked more deflated that angry. Did he really believe he had no choice in this? How could he think that?

Darren might not be the best with words, but he had to clear up this mess somehow.

"Just take me home," Spencer said, and got to his feet, striding out into the hallway with his shoulders hunched.

Darren followed forlornly, watching the other man pull on his short summer jacket, when suddenly a slim arm draped itself over his shoulder.

"I'll come over to your house tomorrow then," Kit said loudly, his lips very close to Darren's ear, face turned towards Spencer.

"I stand by my first assessment," he murmured more quietly.

"Shut up."

"Where did you even find him?"

"Found him at a shooting range."

"Ah."

Kit batted his long, thick eyelashes in Spencer's direction, and raised his voice again.

"We can play a bit."

He draped himself carelessly over Darren's shoulder, when he usually only got this close if he wanted to punch him or examine in detail how he played a specific sequence.

"You can show me how to finger some of those complicated chords."

Then he leaned his head against his shoulder briefly and laughed his cigarettes-and-sex raspy laugh before turning away, without so much as looking him in the eyes.

Okay. Weird.

He looked back at Spencer and saw his mate's lips pressed into a thin white line before he stormed out the door - there was no other word for it - and slammed it shut behind him.

"Shit."

Darren hastened to pull on his boots. While he struggled to lace them up as quickly as possible, he could hear his brother's voice drift over from the kitchen.

"Did you have to tease Spencer like that?"

Darren could hear the shrug in Kit's voice as he replied.

"That boy needed a push. I'm just taking care of my buddy."

"I think those two can figure it out on their own. But if you're looking for somebody to take care of...I don't have anything planned..."

Darren listened to Kit's answering laugh and something burned, acidic, in his stomach.

He was envious. Not of Dan - there had never been any romantic feelings between him and Kit, they had just sort of crashed together in aggression and lust - but of what they had together.

Their easy, carefree affection. Shared tender moments. Someone by your side.

Sentimental mush, he told himself, shaking his head as he pushed open the door.