Orbs

"You're.. you're joking!" Lucy yelled at them, laughing as the three dark mages frowned, "there's gotta be another way!" She insisted, she looked towards Mavis and the other mentors with pain and begging in her eyes, "please.. there's gotta be another way.." she asked them, they frowned and shook their heads no. Killing them was the only way they'd be free of Zeref and what he had done to them.. the only way their friends would be back to normal.. killing them would fix everything! But it would also ruin Erza and Lucy.. and possibly all their friends as well.

Erza put her hand on Lucy's shoulder, Lucy looked up to see tears in her eyes as well, "it's the only way... we.. we have to kill them.." Erza barely got the sentence out, she never dreamt in a thousand years she'd have to say those words.. especially about her best friends.

"Don't worry guys." Levy said through pain, "we'll be ok.. it's our decision to die, and you two shouldn't be the ones to have to kill us.. but you are." She told them, glancing at Yukino and Juvia beside her, they nodded their heads in agreement to her statement. Even though Levy's words made neither Erza nor Lucy feel better about the entire ordeal.

"Please... why can't we just put them behind bars or something!? Anything but killing them!" Lucy yelled towards the mentors, they all sadly looked down at the floor, with the exception of Hephaestus, who wa guiltily looking away from the two girls. Erza and Lucy could both tell something was up with him.

"They are far too powerful to put behind mere bars.. it would be a wasted effort." Mavis tried to explain to them, but Erza and Lucy were no longer listening to the first master. Instead they seemed to be having a silent conversation to themselves, finally nodding to one another when they were done.

Erza walked over to her former mentor, "Hephaestus, you are a great mentor, an amazing craftsman.. but you can't lie for shit." Erza said seriously, Hephaestus looked at her in shock before quickly looking away. "You have something.. that could determine the entire outcome of all this, and you're hiding it?" Gaea, Hades, Chaos, Khione, Oceanus, Poseidon, and Asteria angrily looked at Hephaestus. He had something.. that could potentially save them without killing them?! And he didn't tell anybody?!

Hephaestus met their angry glared and sighed, he dug through his pocket before pulling out three gumball sized spheres, Erza and Lucy looked at them questioningly, how would these tiny things save their friends from death?

It was like Hephaestus could read their minds, "these small orbs are a prison of sorts.. I made them long ago when all of us first met. In fear that some of you would go rogue.." he scratched his neck sheepishly, "But I never perfected them.. they're mere prototypes. No chance they'll work." He handed Erza the prototype orbs. She turned them around in her hand a few times before looking at Lucy.

"These are the best bet we have to not needing to kill our friends.. there's no guarantee it will work but—." Erza was cut off by Lucy.

"As long as these things have some hope of saving them.. let's do it." Lucy smiled, acting more confident in these orbs's abilities then she felt. What if they went wrong? What if they broke free? What if in the end they had to kill them anyway? There were too many 'what ifs' for Lucy to truly feel confident in what they were about to do.. but these orbs have them the slight chance of not having to kill her friends. That was better than nothing.

Lucy and Erza walked up to their former best friends, tears threatening to fall.. but they had to look confident, for their sakes and the sake of their friends. Before they could even do anything, the three smiled up at them..

"You guys were the best friends.. Juvia had ever had.." Juvia said through clenched teeth, "tell the others... we'll miss them.. so.. so much." Juvia said between sobs.. Erza and Lucy felt their hearts break.. it wasn't their fault that they had gotten overtaken by Zeref's magic.. and now they'd never have the life they dreamed of.. they'd never even have the chance to say goodbye to their friends and lovers.. it was like a knife twisted itself in Lucy's and Erza's stomachs.

"Tell them to move on.. please.." Yukino smiled at her two friends, "tell Rogue.. that there are plenty of other fish in the sea.." she laughed to herself, she nodded her head and Erza understood, she opened the first orb, Yukino's physical form started to swirl and shimmer around.. before getting sucked into the orb in Erza's fingers. Erza had to clasp a hand over her mouth to stop herself from screaming out.. that was one down.. two to go..

Levy and Juvia smiled up at their friends.. they both closed their eyes tightly.. awaiting the same fate Yukino had just got. With shaky hands Lucy and Erza both opened one of the orbs.. watching tearfully as their friends' forms shimmered and swirled around... before getting sucked into the orbs in their hands... they watched as the three orbs swirled different colors.. Yukino's purple.. Juvia's blue.. and Levy's green..

"We did it.." Lucy said in shock as the orb in her hands seemed heavier.. "they're safe now.." she smiled to herself, she turned to try and face their mentors but they were all gone.. it was just Erza and Lucy left alone in the bright white landscape. They looked around quickly, confused as to why they weren't back at Fairy Tail yet.. when suddenly the orbs in their hands started to shake, they bounced around in their hands before practically jumping off. Landing with loud sounds of glass shattering on the ground, Erza and Lucy watched in horror and Yukino, Juvia, and Levy reappeared before their eyes.

Then everything went black.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
The orbs didn't work! Will Lucy and Erza have to kill their friends? Is there another option? Why did everything go black all of a sudden?

Stay tuned to find out what happens next on Elements Of Sabertooth!