two / talk to me

Giving her a deer-in-the-headlights look, he froze momentarily, and then gradually came back to life

Giving her a deer-in-the-headlights look, he froze momentarily, and then gradually came back to life. Standing up from stooping down to pick up an armful of clothes, he backtracked, and shut the door. Then he looked at her some more, opening and closing his mouth like a fish out of water.

"What do you mean you're pregnant?" he inquired, pulling his desk chair out. The clothes he'd gone to pick up remained on the floor, a dirty collection of his nightly exploits.

"Exactly what I said," she said lamely, tucking dark strands of hair behind her ear. His brown eyes met her green ones, and he stared, dumbstruck and speechless. She could tell from his lacking response that his brain was at top-speed, trying to process the information.

"You don't look pregnant," he commented, lowering his eyes to her stomach, and then bringing them back up to her face.

"Well, I am," she emphasized, grinding her teeth.

Cameron paused and glanced around his room. Rubbing the rising stubble on and underneath his chin, he peered over towards the door. "Did you know you were pregnant before you got here?"

"No," she shook her head.

"Then how do you know you're pregnant now?" he questioned.

"I took the test," she answered with exasperation. Cameron was being borderline dumb, and it was getting more than annoying. Eyes still wider than normal, he removed his hat and spun it around on his fist, distracting himself from the flood of information. Alternating between staring at the shaded window and the floor, he finally looked back at her, head angled slightly.

"Well, are you gonna... keep it?"

"Yeah," she answered quietly, twirling some of her split strands of hair. Taking a deep breath, she exhaled quietly and steeled herself to prevent any tears. Even though it wouldn't do anything, she felt like crying. Just breaking down and sobbing on the floor.

"You're seventeen, Kith," he shot back.

"I know that," she snapped, rubbing the back of her neck. Stating her age wasn't going to change her decision. She'd thought about it, a lot. Holding a positive pregnancy test in her hand had made her thoughts fly faster than they ever had before. All of them led back to the central one: what was she going to do? There was no point in considering any other option besides keeping it; she couldn't afford the alternative.

The silence became stifling. Biting her lip, she wished she had friends. Or even her mom. She wanted to tell someone who understood completely, someone who wouldn't sit and ask stupid questions.

Cameron was taking the news pretty well, as far as pregnancy admissions went, but he still looked lost and confused. He could've spouted some words of encouragement, maybe asked better questions. Instead, he just sat there, spinning that stupid, blue hat of his around on his fist.