seventeen / hallmark gifts

In the store, Cameron roamed the aisles adorned with pink, red, and white, searching for something Kith would like

In the store, Cameron roamed the aisles adorned with pink, red, and white, searching for something Kith would like.  Wrinkling his nose, he passed by heart-shaped stuffed animals, giant chocolate kisses, and cards bearing words that made him want to roll his eyes.  Valentine's Day shopping hadn't been part of his to-do list since high school.  Walking back the way he'd come, he replayed his conversation with Kith from a week earlier, how she'd never gotten a Valentine's Day gift.

    He'd never understood that.  She was pretty and smart, and nice to everyone. How were the guys at her school not trying to get with her?

    "Shopping for Kith?" Nate elbowed him in the back. "Your giiiiiirlfriend?" He sounded like a five year old.

    "Shut up," Cameron elbowed him back and scanned the card rack, hoping there was one she would appreciate.  He would hate to put effort into buying a gift that she ended up laughing at.  That would suck more than not getting anything and suffering a day of glares and resentment.  Some days, he still held a sneaking suspicion that Kith thought he was an idiot.

    The entire house was out looking for Valentine's Day related paraphernalia.  The Greek Hearts Ball was on Saturday.  It was one of the biggest mixers of the year because all the houses, fraternities and sororities, came together under one roof to drink and grind on each other.  Guys were supposed to ask girls by presenting them with something representing Valentine's Day.

    "You going to the Ball?" Michael questioned.

    "No," Cameron shook his head. "I have this huge test coming up on Monday. And Heather's probably going to be there."

    "He's buying stuff for Kith, his girlfriend," Nate repeated, emphasizing the last part.

    "Shut up!" Cameron repeated, whirling around to hit him.  Laughing, Nate ducked and darted to the other side of the aisle.

    "We all know you like her," Ty commented, slamming a card shut that started belting out a song.

    "I'm helping her out," he defended himself while reaching for another card. He didn't get past the cover.  Scoffing, he crammed it back onto the rack and searched for another.

    "Come on," Ty folded his arms and stared at him. "Kith is hot. Don't tell Lucy I said that."

    "Yeah, she is," Nate agreed. "And we're more controlled men than you are Cameron."

    "And we're your brothers," Graham asserted. "We know you better than you know yourself."

    "You want her, bro," Ty commented, seizing a crimson envelope. "You like her. Man up and admit it."

    "We can't be together," Cameron lied.  Confused, he turned towards actual gifts, stuffed animals and such.  Did he want to be with her?  Weren't they technically together, before the eyes of everyone else?  She wasn't his girlfriend.  They were....were they still just friends?  He was at the store buying her Valentine's Day presents.  He spent nights thinking about how to get stuff for Tristan.  In a few months, they were going to be raising a kid together.  They were together without the label.