thirteen / what's in a name

Two weeks into their stay, Kith got an idea. No one else was around. Austin was with his friends, Cameron had gone to the store-he invited her, but she declined-and their mom was at work. Kith was home alone. She enjoyed those times because she didn't have to talk to anyone, and she especially didn't have to deal with Cameron's mom glaring at her. She knew exactly what she was thinking. Their mom blamed her for getting pregnant, and possibly ruining Cameron's life. To their mom, she was the furthest thing from a nice girl. If only she knew.

If only she knew that Cameron was lying; he was telling a noble lie for her sake. If only she knew that the whole situation was Austin's fault. If only she knew what he'd done to her. But she didn't know, because she didn't ask. She assumed; she acted like she knew. Even if they'd been close, Kith most likely wouldn't have said anything. Cameron had already uttered the irreversible statement to too many people. She couldn't tell the truth now.

Tiptoeing down the hall, she paused before the doorway, heart racing. She hadn't been in his room since that day. The thought itself made her sick. But for some reason, today felt different. "I can handle this," she muttered, palms sweating. Inhaling deeply, she placed one foot in front of the other in the silent house and entered Austin's roomEverything was the same: the paint, the bed, the carpet with the telltale purple kool-aid stain, the desk, the half-open closet. She knew exactly where everything was. Eyes locked on the bed, her pupils honed in on the sheets and her heart rate increased. She could see it. She could feel it all over again.

Backing up, she bumped into his dresser. It was like being inside her own mind. On his bed, there they were. He was on top of her, hand over her mouth, and she was fighting with everything she had. But it wasn't enough. No one could hear her. No one was coming. No one would save her. And he wouldn't let go. "No," she said quickly, putting a hand over her mouth. She instantly felt how wet her face was. "No, no, no, no." She'd said no so many times that day. And she didn't understand why he wouldn't get off her. They were supposed to be friends.

Letting go of the dresser, she escaped. She couldn't handle it; she couldn't handle anything. All she wanted was to run far, far away. But the best she could do was Cameron's room.

  But the best she could do was Cameron's room