twenty-two / project prom dress

Kith perused the racks, digging through the formal remnants

    Kith perused the racks, digging through the formal remnants.  Most of her classmates had long since bought their dresses, which explained the less than spectacular selection.  She was partially to blame.  Prom was in a month and she hadn't even started looking.  Pieces of her conversation with Cameron came to mind.  He'd brought up some good points, all things she'd thought of herself.  At the beginning of the year, she'd honestly considered not going.  She didn't want to be the pregnant girl at Prom.  And what if the unthinkable, her water breaking, actually did happen?  That'd be worse than showing up in the same dress as someone else.

    "Highly unlikely now," she muttered to herself.  In spite of all the frightening possibilities, she decided to attend last month.  She wanted to hear the bad music, see her classmates dressed up in their finest attire, eat the cookies and other food items her school budgeted for, and most of all, she wanted to dance.  That was her main motivation.  At every single dance she'd ever attended, she danced until her entire body, including her dress, was soaked with sweat.  It was far from cute, but it was a sign she'd had a good time.  And she'd always been with...

    "No," she mumbled.  Shoving those memories to the darkest corners of her mind, she continued looking.  A mom walked past with her daughter in tow, staring.  Kith looked up just in time to see the mom seize her daughter by the arm and pull her down the center aisle, avoiding her completely.  Pregnancy's not contagious, she thought.  Shaking her head, she moved to another rack, desperate to find something.

    "What about this?" Cameron called over.

    Kith turned around to see and nearly gagged at the sight.  Swinging from a hanger was a teal monstrosity more suitable for an ailing disco ball than her.  She couldn't think of anything else besides a rotating, blue orb when looking at it.  The infinite number of sequins glittered in the store lights, nearly blinding her. "No," she said simply.

    "You don't like sequins?" he hung it back up.

    "I think my reaction said it all," Kith returned to her search. "And I'm honestly surprised that you know what those are."

    "I watch Project Runway in my downtime," he answered, chewing gum.  She glanced over her shoulder at him; he smirked and raised his eyebrows in response.  Cramming his hands in his pockets, he strolled down the aisle. "What about this?"

    "I hate yellow," she said without really looking at it.

    "I like yellow," he countered, swinging it enticingly.

    "You're not the one wearing the dress."

    "I could wear the dress," he placed it back on the rack. "That'd be a sight for your little high school."

    "Could you try to be serious?"

    "It's Prom," he blew a bubble and popped it with his teeth. "Absolutely not." Leaning against the rack, he stared over at her. "What's the theme, anyway?"