five / soundtrack to life

"What are you going to tell your mom?" Kith asked Cameron while reclining on his bed and rubbing her stomach

"What are you going to tell your mom?" Kith asked Cameron while reclining on his bed and rubbing her stomach. Seated on the floor, he scrolled intently through several tabs and pages on his laptop, legs crossed at the ankle, back pressed against the side of his bed.

"About what?" he said mechanically. Kith rolled just so she could see what he was doing over his shoulder. Some part of her wished he was doing actual schoolwork, a project, a paper, anything remotely educational. Cameron was deeply invested in a game of Bejeweled.

"School."

"What about school?" he answered in the same tone.

"The fact that you don't go to class," she reminded him unnecessarily.

"I do go to class," he fired back.

"I've never seen you go to class," she pointed out.

"I don't go all the time," he defended himself while contracting more points. "I always go the first day. You always go the first day."

"And then?" Kith studied his game.

"And then," he shrugged. "I don't really like my classes."

"That's the point of going to college," Kith replied, staring at the back of his head like he was stupid. Thanks to life, she couldn't afford to go to college. He had the opportunity; his mom was paying for everything, and he was wasting it. If he wanted to get drunk every night, he could've just stayed home. There was no point in moving an hour away to party.

"Maybe for people who have no lives," he countered, connecting another three gems. "I like having fun. Class is boring, partying is not. Which one do you think I'm gonna do?"

"The one your mom's putting her hard-earned money towards," she answered stoically.

Cameron shrugged again and rubbed his nose. Breaking his staring contest with the computer, he took a nice long drink of his soda before setting the can down. "Everything's under control. I've got this."

Kith decided that he wasn't going to tell her at all. There was no way he was bringing home good grades. If he could be graded on poisoning his liver, he'd get an A. In the area that counted, the class, he had to be failing. Kith didn't believe for a second that he actually went to class. Where he went during the day was still a mystery, but she was certain it wasn't to one of the lecture halls. She'd also never seen him do any homework. All of his textbooks were in the same spot day in and day out, unopened and untouched.

"You didn't have any work to do during the break?" she questioned.

"How the hell would I know?" he replied. Clearing the final gems, he cheered as he moved onto the next level. Seizing his soda, he downed the rest of it and threw the empty can onto his desk. Kith followed the can's arc through the air and then stared at it in its final resting place.