nineteen / a stay of execution

"Have you told her?" Nate cornered Cameron in the kitchen after Kith went upstairs

    "No," Cameron shook his head. Glancing around, he made sure no one was close enough to hear any of what they were saying. "She just had her baby shower. And she's so happy right now."

    "Excuses, excuses." Nate folded his arms. "You're not going to tell her, are you?"

    "I don't want to tell her!" Cameron hissed. "I know I should, but I just... I'm supposed to be better than that now. And I know I fucked up. I just really don't want to tell her, Nate. I really don't." Resting his head against the wall, he propped it back up suddenly. "Can you tell her for me?"

"Hell no." Nate wrinkled his forehead. "It's not my place to tell her."

    "Fuck," sighing, Cameron punched the side of his thigh. "I don't think now is the best time. That baby shower was really cool, by the way."

"Noproblem," Nate shrugged. "I'm great. I know."

    "I can't tell her now," Cameron concluded. "Tomorrow. I'll tell her tomorrow."

"Are you actually gonna do it, or are you just bullshitting?" Nate raised an inquisitive eyebrow.

    "I will," Cameron conceded beneath Nate's withering look. "I will, swear on my life. I just have to get my head together."

"Do you love her or something?" Nate questioned, relaxing his facial muscles.

    "What?"

"Do you love her?" Nate repeated. "I mean, we've only known each other since freshman year, so I can't really comment. But from what I've seen, you're more of a man-whore, no offense, than a relationship guy. You've never gotten this worked up before."

    "I do not-shut up. I don't love her. We barely know each other," Cameron commented harshly.  Turning away from his best friend in the house, he gazed out the window.   

    "Don't be a bitch," Nate wheedled.

     "I don't love her," Cameron hissed. "I just like her a lot and it's not even-we don't even have a thing, man! I'm supposed to be there for her because things have not worked out like they were supposed to, for either of us."

    "You're gonna marry that girl," Nate said definitively, waltzing over to the fridge.

    "I'm done talking about this," Cameron said quickly.  They'd gone miles off topic.  Marriage?  That was weird to talk about with any of them.  Yeah, he'd shared his plan about getting a house with Kith later on in life with Nate.  He'd never specifically mentioned marrying her.  If they were going to end up living together, raising a kid together, did that mean that they should just go ahead and get married? 

No. 

No, no, no. 

Even if he asked, Kith was bound to tell him no a half second after his proposal, or even during the proposal.  His ideas weren't usually her favorite things.  "If you'll excuse me, I have to plan my funeral."