four / pecuilar arrangements

As Cameron's mom smothered him with her arms in their doorway, Kith hung back, balancing her backpack, while tugging at the bottom of her blue hoodie

As Cameron's mom smothered him with her arms in their doorway, Kith hung back, balancing her backpack, while tugging at the bottom of her blue hoodie. Shoving her hands in her pockets, she pressed against her stomach, as if that would make the fetus behind it go away. Attempting to hide behind one of the side mirrors, she surveyed the neighborhood, the area that had basically been her second home.

Everything still looked the same. All the cookie-cutter, suburban homes were still there. If she went down the road, the stop sign would still be there. If she made a left or a right, she'd be on the main road. If she traveled fifteen minutes more, she'd be home.

"Kith?" Nora finally noticed her pressed against the side of the car.

"Hi," forcing a smile, she walked forward. As his mom went to hug her, she sucked in her stomach as much as possible, all while keeping that smile.

"What are you doing here?" Still smiling, Nora pulled back and studied her curiously. "Not that we mind having you. Austin's not here right now."

"Oh, that's okay," Kith said quickly.

"She lives with me, Mom," Cameron reappeared, bags slung across both shoulders like some forest warrior.

"What?"

"Yeah," he said it like it was nothing. His tone was probably what made her stop. "She had something going on at home, so... she lives with me."

"Aren't you still in high school?" Cameron's mom inquired, eyes shining with interest. Kith had known an interrogation was coming. She'd known it since giving into the idea that she would have to stay at Cameron's house for the break.

If his mom thought she was going to learn anything, get any answers, she had another thing coming. Cameron didn't know, so his mom wouldn't either. It also didn't help that she had a gleam in her eye that said she would tell a whole bunch of other people if she found out either.

Why she lived with Cameron was her business and her business only.

"Yes," Kith nodded.

"That's right," she nodded slowly. "You and Austin are both graduating this year. Speaking of which, you two are supposed to be having that joint graduation party. Did you forget?" Her tone changed to one with a more teasing undertone.

"No," Kith shook her head and scrunched her eyes up for a second. "Um..." Staring at the ground, she shifted her feet and ran through a list of suitable excuses. "I don't really think I want a party anymore. I'm just not... into that."

"Why?" Now his mom sounded concerned, like there was something deathly wrong with her for not wanting a party. "You guys decided this your freshman year."

"I know," Kith conceded. "Maybe, but I don't think so."

"Come on, Mom," Cameron interrupted. "Let us inside."