Chapter Fourteen

Kade

As we walked out the door I reached down and grabbed one of Phoebe's hands. I always had the urge to touch her, she was easy to be around. It had only be a few days and I knew that she was different. I could actually see myself and Gage in a relationship with her. I knew he felt the same way but we didn't know how Phoebe felt, and I knew that rushing her into making a decision was not a good idea. For the time being I was gonna sit back and enjoy whatever she wanted to give.

We walked to the car and I opened the door for her. She slide into the passenger seat, Gage slides in the back and I walk around to the drivers seat. Phoebe looks confused as I buckle up and start the car.

"No driver tonight?" She asked.

"No baby we can drive and we like too. It's just easier to be dropped off and picked up from school. We would be late if we drove ourselves." I tell her.

"You couldn't take the bus?" She replies.

"Princess, we don't have buses. It's a private school and they aren't required to provide them." Gage says.

"Oh. Sorry I didn't know." She answers and hangs her head. Gage just embarrassed her without realizing it and I shoot him a death glare in the rear view mirror.

"Gage not everyone has always attended a private school their entire life." I say through gritted teeth and I watch him realize he fucked up. He immediately looks over to our girl to see her head hanging down slightly peering out the window. Her body language is always a dead give away to how she feels.

"Phoebe. I'm sorry. It was a valid question, and I answered it like an ass without meaning too. I'm not the best with words. That's Kade's department." Gage apologizes in a soft voice as he leans though the middle of the front seats to try to get her to look at him.

"It's okay. I'm used to public schools, there is a slight learning curve. Thank you for apologizing." She says in a voice to small for my comfort.

"Baby. You have dealt with a lot of changes in a short time period. You have took everything in stride and everyone at school has been dazzled by you." I say and she smiles a little.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome". I say as I put the car in drive and pull off.

The field we use for the bonfire is a 25 minute drive from our houses so I turn the radio on to distract us all from the issue that Gage just caused. When Sucker by the Jonas Brothers comes on I see Phoebe perk up. She reaches for the volume dial but stops just short of it.

"You can turn it up if you like the song." I try to say as if I haven't been watching her more than the road.

"Thanks." She says genuinely happy and she turns the volume up until she is content with it. When the chorus hits she starts to sing along softly and I can't help but smile. Her singing voice is much higher then her normal voice but still doesn't sound weird coming from her.

I look at Gage in the mirror for the first time since I shot him the death glare and I see that he is just as mesmerized with her as I am. He is wearing a goofy grin when he meets my eyes.

The song ends just as we are turning onto the dirt road that leads us to the field. We pull up to where all the other cars are parked and get out. We flank Phoebe as we walk towards to crowd around the fire. When we approach them I hear someone yelling our names and see Ashlyn bounding towards us with Derick in tow.