Chapter 9

After breakfast, we set up for the graduation party for the rest of the day. At some point my mom made me and Jax go inside where we couldn't see what was going on.

"Sooo," Jax said exaggeratedly, laying down on my bed. "You and Milo,"

I groaned and buried my face into my pillow.

"You two were cuddling. And there seems to be no sexual tension between you, so I'm assuming, you've done it before and you're afraid to fall for him?"

"Yeah. I don't want to go through what happened last time ever again."

"Here's the deal, once the feelings become stronger, you've got to talk to him, because eventually he's gonna give up on you."

"I promise, Jax." I got a text from Milo asking where we were. I once I answered, there was a knock on the door. "Come in."

"They're ready for you now." I heard Milo say. A pair of hands grabbed mine and pulled me up so I was standing. "Are you excited?"

"Yeah." I breathed.

-

Milo covered my eyes and I assumed someone covered Jax's eyes too, as we stepped outside. One the count of three Milo's hands left my eyes and moved to my hips. I looked around quietly, trying to look indifferent, before smiling.

"It looks amazing, I wish you'd have let me help more."

Jax agreed with me and we were sent back upstairs to get ready.

-

Milo sat on my bed, watching me as I examined myself in my mirror. I didn't normally wear skirts, and I didn't know how to feel about it. I was about to reach for a pair of jeans when I noticed the way Milo was looking at me. It wasn't lust, it wasn't anything I was used to in fact. It made me smile, and I decided to keep it because I never wanted him to stop looking at me like that.

"Alright," I breathed, turning around, "you ready?"

"I think so." He replied, standing. I could tell he was nervous, considering he was dressed up.

"Hey, thank you. For helping them set up and everything."

"Anything for you princess. If it weren't for you, I'd be at the apartment alone."

He slid an arm around my waist and led me downstairs, where we would greet guests.

-

"Oh my god. Jay!!" I exclaimed, seeing my high school friend.

"Hi, Mini." He greeted back with a smile.

"Oh! Milo, this is Jaden, my friend from high school, and his boyfriend, Cameron."

Milo shook their hands and said, "Nice to meet you."

We chatted for a minute, and then they moved on, and someone walked in behind them. The only other person I'd never wanted to see again, that I couldn't forgive, at least not right now.

"I've gotta go find my mom," I whispered in Milo's ear, standing on my tip toes just to reach it.

"Alright, princess."

His arm dropped from around me and I quickly escaped, to find my mom. I felt bad for leaving Milo with Jax, but I needed answers.

I found her in the backyard, sipping wine, and pulled her away without a word.

"Jayden, are you okay?" She asked, careful not to spill her wine. I took a sip of her wine and shook my head.

"What is she doing here?"

"Honey, you're going to have to be specific, you hate a lot of people." Normally I would have laughed at that, but instead, I turned my head to look around. "Honey, you're worrying me."

My eyes landed on her, and I froze in fear. I hadn't seen or talked to her since the breakup. I wanted, to scream, hit her, cry, make her realize what she did, make her jealous, all kinds of ridiculous things. 

Until I noticed the kid. He held her hand and looked around, his eyes eventually landing on me. I unfroze, and my heart melted. He was absolutely adorable and the way she looked at him, was so full of love. He had to be hers, everything about him reminded me of her.

I also noticed Milo walk outside too, he looked around when his eyes landed on mine. He looked worried after taking in my panicked state. I watched as he made his way towards me and noticed she had spotted me too and was walking towards me.

"Jayden!" Three people were calling my name, my mom, my ex, and Milo. 

"Hey!" Three voices said in unison, as they arrived. I heard them ask if I was ok, but I couldn't respond. I couldn't move. I couldn't breathe. My heart was beating out of my chest, and I felt myself start shaking. I didn't know who to look at, the kid, my ex, my mom, or Milo. The kid grabbed my shaking hand and Milo grabbed my other. They had fallen away from my moms.

Everything had gotten worse. Eventually, I managed to free my hands and stumble away. Everything was blurry and I ended up tripping on the concrete, making me bleed. I quickly got up, before anyone noticed or helped. I continued to stumble away, catching my breath, the further I got. I somehow managed to get into the woods behind the house and found my way to a beautiful swimming pond.

I kicked off my shoes and sat on the dock, with my feet in the water. I continued to catch my breath until someone sat next to me.

"Jayden, you're scaring the shit out of us," Milo said. When I wouldn't answer, he softly added, "Princess what's wrong?"

I leaned my head on his shoulder, a tear falling onto his nice shirt. I took a shaky breath, and he grabbed my hand again. Before I knew it, I was crying, the thing I hated doing most. He pulled me onto his lap and let me cry into his shirt as he rubbed my back. Once the tears were all gone, I looked back at him.

"What happened?" He asked softly.

"The girl who broke my heart, is back to rip all the duck tape I used to fix it off and make it unfixable."