back to love.

aaliyah hernandez💘

"I got out a relationship a few months ago where i was abused mentally, physically, and emotionally for four years

"I got out a relationship a few months ago where i was abused mentally, physically, and emotionally for four years. I know what you're thinking, "why didn't you just leave?" well, until you go through what i went through, you'll see that "just leaving" isn't always easy."

"well, that's not what i was thinking. because i have gone through what you went through.", the female voice says. "sorry.", i say kind of feeling bad. "it's okay, you didn't know. so tell me, where did things start to go left?"

"it all started off with the usual, typical stuff. romantic dates, late nights on the phone, spending weekends together. everything felt like it was a dream, until reality hit.."

flashback

aaliyah: (walking in the house) baby i'm back!
jason: (walking down the stairs) where the hell you been?
aaliyah: (raises her eyebrow) i was out with my girls, i told you yesterday that we were hanging out today.
jason: (walks closer to her) oh yeah?
aaliyah: (backing up & nodding) y-yeah.
jason: (keeps walking closer to her) what you getting scared for baby? we just talking.
aaliyah: (backs up until she's against the door & smells alcohol on his breath) you're drunk aren't you?
jason: (slaps her hard) bitch i'm the only one asking questions in this house!

flashback over

"after that, he became more possessive, he wouldn't let me go anywhere without him knowing or going with me, i had a curfew, he checked my phone periodically and whenever he saw things he didn't like, he'd take it for a few weeks, plus me getting beaten. and he alienated me from my friends and family. i would go weeks, even months at a time without being able to talk to them and when i did, he had to be there and they had to be on speaker phone. it was like that for four years. he treated me a child and i let him, just because i was stupid enough to think he could change and i loved him." i say as i quickly wipe a tear that fell.

"aaliyah, people do a lot of things because they love people. you weren't stupid to think he could change. you just saw the good in him that he had when you two first met, that's normal. the most important thing is, you got out.."

i walk into starbucks to get my favorite, a double chocolate frappuccino. after i order, i sit down at a table and wait. i hear the door chime and look up to see a handsome brownskin walk in, he kinda looks familiar. "keith?" he turns around and smiles immediately once he notices me "aaliyah?", i smile back, "yeah it's me." "aaliyah?", a worker calls. "hey, if you don't mind staying back a bit we can catch up a little?", his voice and face hopeful.

"i really wish i could, but i gotta rest up before i go to work tonight." "damn, well maybe some other time? you got the same number right?", i pick up my drink and smile, "yeah, you still remember my number after all these years?" he nods, "yeah, just like i remember the double chocolate frappuccino is your favorite drink from here."

"oh so you remember a lil sum sum?", i chuckle. "you know i do, don't play me.", he says. "mhm, well i gotta go. i'll see you later?" he nods, "you will, i'll call you."

okay so let me tell you who keith is. keith was my high school sweetheart. he was my first kiss, my first time, my first boyfriend, my first love, my first everything. we just didn't work out after college because our life choices were pulling us in different directions. sometimes when i was with jason, i would think about him and what life would be like with him instead of jason.

wondering why i work at night? i'm a college professor for night classes, i know "you must be real old" i'm 28, chill on me. "hey guys, your projects need to be emailed to me by tomorrow night, so if you haven't already emailed it, do it now or when you get home and for the procrastinators in here, you can spend this time to work on it.", i say and smile. with a few excited murmurs, "and the ones who're already done, work on what's on the board while i grade your projects.", i say as i sit down and open my laptop.

well, all my students finished and turned in their projects and i got them all graded. so tonight i can sleep in, yay.

aaliyah's phone rings
(323)***-**** is calling you..

or so i thought.

"hello?", i say as i answer the phone. "hello? is this aaliyah?", i hear a familiar voice through the phone and smile a little. "yeah, is this keith?" i hear him chuckle, "yeah, it's me. so, how have you been?", i sit on my bed and sigh. "making it. you?" "shit, same. trying to be an actor is not easy at all."

i stay on the phone with him until i start to get tired and yawn. "uh oh, imma let you go to sleep before i be talking to you and you over the catching some z's." i laugh a little, "i always used to do you like that back in high school." he shook his head, "yeah, i know. hurt my lil feelings." "boy i ain't hurt yo feelings." "girl yes you did. anyways, are you uh doing anything this saturday?" i instantly get triggered, but remember it's time for me to move on. "no, i'm not busy. wassup?" "i was just wondering if you wanted to uh hang out, kinda like old times?"

"yeah, i'd like that."

tbc✨