Chapter 2: Dakarie

(Click on photo to view each character)

July 4th, 2018

So, was gonna write yesterday, forgot. Pa's standing few feet away, forcing me to. This shit blows.

My names DaKarie Jones but only my dad and friends call me Karie. Dr. Morrison said I have to write to get all my feelings out n' shit. That its better then resorting to my fists. Not that I really believe that but whatever.

I get into trouble sometimes, have some accidents. I dont mean to, you know? People just push me. Like im at a 9 like..all the time and one slip up can just push me over the edge.

So..yeah I got some anger issues. Chip on my shoulder or something. Im just so fucking pissed. Motherfuckers calling me half-breed because I have light skin and blue eyes. Goddamn golden boy always hitting me up in science about some shit. These thoughts I been struggling with the past few years. My moms fucking leaving me and my dad in the dust, the bitch.

She left when I was only 6. My pops is the only one besides my homies who been there for me. He taught me how to be a man. He doesn't like that I play around with women or just my attitude in general. But shit..he's always loved me, no matter what. Though even through all of my pa's lectures and life lessons on the importance of respecting adults and the people around you and whatever the fuck. I still never could get my attitude in check.

Anyway, ive done my sharing for now. Were moving soon actually. Sucks, you know? Been here my whole life. Since my moms was still around. Since our family was..

But my dads got his reasons. Even if he wont tell me about them. Even if he gets all weird talking about it. Hes grown. My dad's keeping his motor shop and I'm still going to the same school, the only difference is where we'll be staying.  Ima try not to get on him too much about it though. Its hard on both of us I guess.

"Karie," He pulled out of his thoughts at the sound of his name. His pops had noticed he was just sitting there, staring at the page. "You finished up?"

He cleared his throat, closing the notebook and rolling it between his hands tightly. He resisted the urge to put it to his mouth and shout through it.

"Yeah." The man nodded, pausing before popping down across from him at the dining table, hands folded in front of him. Karie instantly got uncomfortable.

"Look uh..just wanted to clear the air before we go out. I know things have been a little stressful lately, and Im sorry. Im..im handling it, alright?" He stared, waiting for a response. Karie made sure to nod and give his dad an awkward thumbs up. He should probably be taking this shit seriously but it was always hard for him to get vulnerable like that.

"And I promise I will tell you everything you need to know as soon as I can."

"Its none of my business, I get that." He'd meant what he said but as he looked to his father, it seemed as if he'd heard something else completely. His frown deepened and only managed to freak his son out more. The hell was this man involved in?

"So what are we gonna do for the fourth of July?" DaKarie asked, smoothly changing the subject. His father was very perceptive but took the exit gladly, standing and stretching.

"We're heading over to uncle Dante's for a barbecue."

"Oh, please tell me he's gonna have some of that boneless chicken he makes? And cocktail shrimp! Oh damn, he better have some.." DaKarie clapped his hands together as if to plead and his father gave an amused chuckle. "Hell yeah."