Chapter 22: Kyle

"Honey, hurry or your gonna be late for school! Make sure Xavier's ready to go too. Breakfast on the table and uh couple 30's for lunch."

"Don't know why you bother Kathy, what's the point of even having a personal chef if your just gonna do their job for them." Conner grumbled from the dining table.

The boys stumbled in before she could respond. They had been giving each other looks on the staircase over his-..Katherine's weird behavior.

She was smiling sheepishly at him and he gave her an awkward smile back. Xavier only glared at Conner who got grumbles in return.

"You made all this stuff yourself?" Kyle askey slowly at the plates of food taking up counter space. It looked half undercooked and half burned all at once.

She was never a stay at home mom or a housewife no matter how much Conner probably wished.

Her work, her husband, her image, that was her life. She was probably as clueless at that stuff as he was.

"Well I..I had a little extra time this morning before work and I don't really cook much so I figured why not? Greg and Angelina do such a great job of keeping the house clean and keeping us all fed, I figured they deserve a morning off." She turned to Xavier with a smile.

The man began to choke on his crispy hash brown and Kyle had to slam him on the back a few times.

The 3 finished their breakfast together, Connor leaving half way through. The morning was actually kinda nice.

Katherine handed them the lunch money on the way out which they both tried to refuse.

They both shuffled away with money practically shoved down their throats.

"I wanted to make you guys lunches but I realized your not in kindergarten anymore.."

Kyle hesitated at her kindness that seemed to grow more each day.

Xavier gave her a side hug, thanking her. Kyle did the same giving her a peck on the cheek before pulling away.

For the slightest second she looked as though she might start to cry but she ushered the two out before anything happened. They didn't speak of it on their way to school but Kyle was..uh..pleased? Warm?
And he was sure his best friend could tell.

"So, you ready to see ya men's..Wait, ma- men's? Men? Shit, what is it?" Xavier looked off, trying to think, causing him to almost fall down the flight of stairs.

"Its men. And they aren't mine. And I told you not to discuss it."

"Come on, man. You know I..I worry. I just would like to think you have more people in your corner then just me, you know?" Kyle looked down, focusing on his vans hitting the concrete.

"Come ooon. Don't get like that," Xavier nudged, nodding to a few guys he knew. "You like them? One of them, at least." He pleaded with a smirk. Kyle was sure he'd be a lot more freaked out by the prospect of his best friend having a..whatever you wanna call it with a guy. Let alone 3.

He was surprised but..probably just more relieved that anything. Maybe he was tired of feeling like Kyle's safety net. He didn't blame him. He deserved more then that..

Kyle was nudged again. He was quite before speaking up. "Maybe."

"Yeah?" Xavier exclaimed, clapping his back. Kyle shrugged it off.

"He's a hard guy to like.."

That had his friend staring, wondering who could be so bad. If he only knew.

Xavier pulled him close as they continued to walk to class, the sun shining down on them and he could feel Xaviers smile grow even wider when he saw Payton running up to them. "Babyyy!!"