Chapter 29: DaKarie

"Hey baby."

DaKarie stood at his front door, watching the women in the parking lot. His mom. She smiled sadly, clearly pained.

He shut the door without a word.

"Bitch." His fists clenched in fury. He grabbed at his bag, jogging out the back to J's.

"Oh hey kid-.." Mr. Reeds started, giving a friendly grin at their sliding door. The man hesitated at the look on his face.

"Uh- was gonna walk JJ to school. If that's alright."

"Oh. Alr- JJ, get down here kiddo. Got a friend waiting."

Some time later, they were sneaking through the neighbors lawn, avoiding the main road so as not to be seen.

Once they were successfully out of the cul-da-sac, JJ was on him. He clutched at DaKarie's cheeks, forcing him to meet his eyes.

"It's whatever, man." He shrugged.

"Yeah clearly."

A few moments later, he sighed. He finally broke. He'd been fighting it off for a bit but..fuck was it hard.

He hadn't seen her since that day. She'd just got her stomach pumped or some shit, she was hooked up to machines. She tried to apologize, he guessed. He didn't really remember that part.

He didn't say anything to J about it. And he didn't have to say shit for him to know he wasn't okay.

J pulled him in, holding him as Karie's face rested down into his chest. He wanted to cry.

"You gonna be alright?" JJ asked, reaching for him but hesitated as they wandered closer to the building. DaKarie rolled his shoulders, "I'm always alright."

"Karie-

"Thanks. I gotta go." He mumbled, making some distance between their steps. J understood. His mouth gaped, trying to find the right parting words but came up blank.

"Okay." Is all he said. Then he was off.

DaKarie refused to watch, focus on the doors to the school.

His mind was swimming with rage he had no idea what to do with. He imagined his mom, sitting at their dining table. Or making his dad breakfast or some shit.

"Excuse me, sir! Sir!"

Karie's eyes shot up to the intercom next to the door. One of the students from behind nudged his hand from the handle which he had been yanking on aggressively.

He stopped long enough for the door to buzz. The kid gestured again. He resisted rolling his eyes, pulling firmly before storming in.

"Your welcome, man." He mumbled, walking off.

DaKarie ignored him, trying to remember what he was supposed to be doing. He stood lost in the sea of kids, reaching for his phone as it buzzed.

Come home after school, please.

He tsked, shutting his phone off. Fuck him. He shoved through the crowd to where his friends were waiting for classes to begin.

He was making his way over when he looked up.
The traffic of kids filled the staircase, heads of hair filling his view.

His eyes fixated on the dark brown hair above Latino skin. Long blond strands hung over his shoulder as a figure was carried on his back, laughing loud enough for fucking everyone to hear.

"What the fuck.."

His feet carried him closer, pushing at the crowds.

"Max, put me down." She squealed, chuckling.