Chapter 27: Kyle

Diary entry 114: The date is October 6th, 2018.

A lot has changed recently. I believe for the better. It's hard to be sure at times.

I've never had good things. Or..that sounds ungrateful. I've never had things I truly valued, Xavier being the exception. And now that I was beginning to I kinda dreaded it.

Like a dream. Just waiting to wake up. Waiting to come back to reality. To come back to the emptiness I'm used to.

It's still there, all the time. Of course it is. But for example; Kathrine. Who as it turns out is kind of a wild card. Experimenting, drunken white girl type in collage. Which is kind of awesome.

A couple weeks ago was my 18th birthday and she actually took me out to a bar, just the two of us.

I wasn't allowed to drink anything of course but Kathrine started to after I finally convinced her I could drive home and by the end of the night she was practically doing body shots off of random strangers.

It was definitely the best birthday I'd ever had.

She's been taking me and Xaiv to indoor skate parks and helping his dad out with dinners so she could learn some dishes, give his parents a couple nights off.

She was funny. Very smart and had lots of advise to give.

It was amazing how someone you've seen for so long in a certain light can show you a whole other part of themselves. Become a completely different person.

Maybe it's because of Connor she had to hide this part of herself. Maybe it was adulthood or her social status that influenced it. Maybe that was why I never really got to know her.

The truth was..she was actually a good mother.

I appreciated that fact almost as much as it worried me. Because I already had a mother.

She might've been dead but..she was still in my memories. She was always present as was my father. I couldn't just move on because Katherine suddenly grew a conscience, could I?

There's also the new guys in my life. Just the thought of trying to explain my relationship with them makes me tired but-

JJ is amazing, to put it simply. Open and unassuming. Sincere and kind. And being with him is easy. No expectations but no shame or hesitation.

We meet up for lunch sometimes. He laughs with Xavier and Payton, somehow compliments their chemistry when they're being obnoxiously sappy.

I met some of his friends from computer who stop by occasionally. He teaches me about coding when it's just us, showing me mods he's done for games we happen to like.

And on our walks home, we talk sometimes or we don't. Hold hands or we don't. It's always up to my comfort and even when I'm exhausted and quite he just smiles and talks about the next thing.

Then there's Max. Everyone at school seems to have an assumption on who he is.

Well known with the loud kids. Praised on the football team. Cool to chat with. And Karie was obviously bothered by his constant nice guy act.

Which he about 70% got over.

But Max is more then just a nice jock. He could be partnered to any person in the class and in a matter of 5 minutes, make them feel like his equal despite his intimidating popularity which he seems oblivious to.

He plays up the goofball act a lot for laughs but the moment you need a shoulder or an ear he's more then willing to sit and listen.

Unlike DaKarie, he's careful with his words. He's intuitive and very aware of people's emotions. He always put them before himself, even when he shouldn't. Even when it gets him hurt.