2:1: Taking Back the City

Elijah and I are with a contractor about a keep a building at Olmstead Company protected and walk around. "Authentic cast-iron columns.. Look at that, the original Bloomry forge, fueled by a charcoal furnace." Elijah says and we look up to notice a sprinkler system with the pipes. "The modern elements blend quite nicely indeed. My foundation has aligned itself with the city's Historical Preservation Society. We have a vested interest in seeing this building protected." Elijah says and Francesca's Lackey, who joined us, speaks up. "This place is a dump! The Guerrera family would be doing this city a favor." He says and I notice a golden ring with a black stone engraved on his left ring finger, making it appears as if he's married and Elijah and I glance at each other and back to the man. "Well, unfortunately, under the Preservation Act of 1966, we cannot allow the Guerreras to demolish one of the city's original foundries.. even if it is for something as noble and distinguished as a casino." I say, smiling. "So, thank you gentlemen." Elijah says, signaling for them to leave. "Do give my best to Francesca." Elijah says, smiling as the man glares at us.

I arrive to Eve's cabin to meet up with Hayley and she picks up a baby doll that is covered in leaves and has charcoal marks from the explosion. "Hi." I say and she smiles up at me. "Are you okay?" I ask and she sighs. "Not really." She says and I touch her shoulder gently. "The plan is in motion. Francesca dies. Tonight." I say and she nods. "So I'm meeting Davina at a music shop, I'll see you tonight?" I ask and she stands up. "Get some loud ass rock music, okay?" She asks and I give a small laugh. "Definitely." I say and she smiles.

I arrive to the Music Store with coffees from a local cafe and almost bump into a guy in a button up shirt. "Oh.. sorry. My fault." I say and smile at his blonde hair. "Not a problem at all." He says in an British accent and walks off as I enter the store. "I brought coffee!" I exclaim and high five the store owner, Joe; who is also a vampire. "You are a lifesaver. She was about to bore me with Icelandic Folk Music." He says and I laugh as I hand her her coffee and nearly drop mine as we see Oliver walk in. "Hey there, cutie and witch boy." He says and we roll our eyes at him. "Don't call us that." I say. "So, I heard that you both ditched your coven. That's too bad." He says, taking Davina's music file and looks through it. "That other Harvest girl, Cassie? She has been super helpful to all us wolves." He says. "She's making you moonlight rings, Oliver. I wouldn't call that helpful, I'd call that an alliance." Davina says. "Or that you're now her bitch." I say and Davina and I both laugh as she takes her music back. "Well, you can call it whatever you want. As long as we don't have to turn on the full moon anymore, it works for me." Oliver says and moves closer to us. "Look, I'd take off if I were you two. Things are about to get a little ugly in here." He says and we look up at him. "Hey, y'all. Store's closed. Get out, now!" Oliver shouts at the customers and they start to leave as he looks at Joe. "Hey. What are you doing?" Joe asks and Oliver points at him. "It's Joe Dalton, right? You see, I've been studying up on this store. It's been a staple of the Quarter for ninety years.. it was run by you, your daddy, and then his daddy before him?" Oliver asks, counting on his finger as he moves closer to Joe. "That's right." Joe says. "Yeah, you see, the thing is, Joe, there just ain't many photos of anyone in your family.." Oliver says and pulls out an old black and white photo of Joe. "But you." He says. "Oliver, no." I say, stepping forward and Joe dashes to the door, opens it and gets grabbed by the wolves. "Stop. Stop it. Stop it." Davina and I say at the same time and put our hands out, causing the wolves to fall just as one of them is about to bite Joe; the spell basically being a dog whistle. "Joe, get out of here." Davina says and we see Joe rush out the door and Oliver looks up at us.

I'm with Elijah, Klaus and Hayley as it's nighttime and we're in the dining room, going over the battle plan. "We're taking the twelve original rings. Now, four of them sit on the hands of the Guerrera brothers. One on Oliver, one on Francesca, three with the home security detail, and the rest scattered amongst her lackeys. Now, each ring is distinguishable by its setting, gauche, like those that wear them." Elijah says as we look at him and then turn to Klaus as Hayley and I have our arms crossed; Klaus letting his beard grow out from depression. "If they believe they can get their hands on the stake, they will come for me when I am weak. Each ring you retrieve will strengthen me, but I will still be at a disadvantage." Klaus says. "Which means any hope of our success depends entirely upon our working together." I say and Elijah looks at Klaus and Hayley. "The two of you can no longer afford to retreat to separate corners." Elijah says and Klaus sighs then stands up, slowly. "This is our battle. You ready for battle, Hayley?" Klaus asks. "Just promise me that Francesca doesn't come out of this alive." Hayley says. "Her head will be delivered to you on a silver platter, little wolf." Klaus says, smiling weakly. "I'll deal with the last piece of the puzzle." Elijah says, walking off.

I arrive with Elijah to Francesca's manison after he cuts off the head of one of the wolves, letting blood splatter on the window and I open the door so he can roll the head in and Francesca smiles at us with her men next to her, smiling more as she looks at them while Elijah wipes the blood off his fingers with his pocket square. "It's fine. He can't come in." She says and looks at us. "And these boys will eat your little witch for a snack." Francesa says, laughing. "Can't I?" Elijah asks and she laughs again. "Don't bluff me. You can't win." She says, taking a step forward towards us. "I don't think it's a bluff." I say, smiling. "You mobsters all suffer from such hubris." He says and she raises her eyebrows at us. "Did you know Al Capone thought himself invincible back in his day? And, in the end, he was sentenced to the wretched filth of Alcatraz, for which of his atrocities? Anyone?" Elijah asks and looks at me. "Mr. Gilbert?" He asks, smiling at me and I smile back and look at Francesca. "A failure to pay his taxes." I say. "That's correct. I suppose the devil's in the details, isn't it?" Elijah asks and looks around her home, admiring it. "My, my, you have a beautiful home, here." He says as Francesca keeps a smile on her face as she looks nervously at her brother and back to us. "I was so pleased when the city took my suggestion to protect its heritage status and invoke imminent domain." Elijah says and Francesca looks horrified. "I suppose that means this house now belongs to the public. And, as such, anyone can enter without invitation." Elijah says and hovers his foot through the thresbold and we walk in.

It's the next day as I arrive back to the music store after the battle last night and hearing about how Francesca was killed by Hayley and see the store is closed. "Well, this sucks. No trades today." The blonde, British guy from yesterday says from behind me and I turn around to smile at him. "And worse for you, of course. Guy had the market cornered on the rock music since the 80s." He says and I give a small laugh. "Those weren't for me." I say and he offers a handshake. "I'm Kaleb." He says and I shake his hand. "Adam." I say. "Wow, cool name. Terrible taste in music since you didn't buy rock for yourself." He says and I playfully roll my eyes at him. "You obviously need my help." He says, smiling after we release.