A royal duty

Zelda and Jorulph walked down to the barracks together. Zelda tried to stay as far as she could away from him, but Jorulph kept on getting closer, until she was at a point where she was going to walk into a wall.

As the two arrived at the barracks, the knights bowed at their presence.

"Greetings!" Called Jorulph," I have come here with the princess to show her the future of our royal army."

The knights nodded, and got back to their training. Jorulph placed a hand behind Zelda's back and guided her to where the junior knights were training. He showed her to a bench, where they could oversee the training.

"Just so you know, princess, I killed three lynels the other day." Boasted the prince.

Zelda gave him a scathing look. Her gaze then wondered to behind Jorulph, where a junior knight who had bumped into her earlier was taking down the thirtieth trainee to have a go at taking him down. After he had taken out the last one, he turned around to find the princess staring at him. He smiled at her, making Zelda blush, who then returned the smile. She didn't pin him down as a good fighter, yet the junior knight could take down many seniors at once. The most impressive part was that he was around the same age as Zelda. She loved the way he flexed his muscles as he effortlessly swung his sword.

"Actually, I heard that it was that junior knight over there who killed the lynels." Corrected Zelda," apparently you were cowering behind a tree, calling for your mother."

Jorulph looked embarrassed to be caught out, then followed her gaze to the junior knight.

"Ahh yes..." he said," Link. The best of our junior knights. Such a shame he's so young, he would be able to climb the ranks in no time."

He sounded quite glad by Link's youth, the fact that a youngster could possibly take over him made him sick. Jorulph noticed that Zelda was still staring at the junior knight. He sneered before turning around.

"Oi, Link!" He called out," come here!"

Link looked confused to be suddenly called out, but obeyed the orders of the captain.

"The princess has been dying to meet you." Sneered Jorulph.

Zelda looked a little flustered.

"Nice to meet you, Link, wasn't it?" She asked.

"Yes, I am Link, your highness." He replied.

He bowed to the princess, and got back up with the most charming smile. The smile made Zelda's heart miss a beat. She then returned the smile.

Link had heard tales of the princess's beauty, but those tales were nothing compared to seeing her for real. Her smile made him feel like butter.

Jorulph looked intently at the pair, realising he had to break it up, immediately.

"Well, the princess has enjoyed your company, but she really must get on. Back to what you were doing!" Ordered the captain.

Link saluted and went back to training, but not before sneaking Zelda a cheeky smile.

Zelda felt like she was floating, as she made her was back to the castle. Hen she got back in, she was greeted by Maryl.

"Princess, you'd be pleased to know that some of your duties no longer need to be done!" Maryl said enthusiastically.

"That's good!" Exclaimed Zelda.

"However, your father would like to have a word with you..."

Zelda groaned in annoyance. She's probably going to get another nagging from the king.

"Very well." Said Zelda," I will make my way to the sanctum."

"Actually, it's in his study." Corrected Maryl.

Zelda panicked, this must be on a personal matter if it was in his study. She made her way to said location, fearing the conversation ahead. She knocked on the study door, bracing herself for what was to come.

"Come in!" Called out the King

Zelda opened the door, and entered the study. Her father was sitting at his desk, writing down something. He looked up, and put down his pen.

"Zelda... how are you?" Asked the King.

"I'm fine, thank you, father." Replied Zelda.

"About the matter we discussed long ago..." started the king.

"Father, I haven't found anyone yet." Interrupted Zelda," you cant rush love. These things just fall into place. All we have to do it wait an-"

"We have no time for you to wait!" Bellowed the king," you need to find a suitable man to be your husband soon, should anything bad fall upon me. At least I will die knowing my daughter is in suitable hands. Knowing my kingdom has suitable king. Now tell, have you found anyone."

Zelda faltered, "no, no I haven't."

The king thought for a moment.

"How about Jorulph? He's a prince, and is very skilled. He'll look after you and the kingdom just fine."

Zelda almost screamed out in disgust.

"No! I mean I don't think Jorulph and I will work out..."

"Zelda, my dear..." Said the king softly," as a princess, it's not all about love. Of course it would be great if you could find love, but you have duty to fulfil to your kingdom, whether you like it or not. Please understand this."

Zelda looked up at her father. She knew he meant well, but just wished there was some other way.

"Yes, father." She replied.

"You better be off, and do consider, the uh, duty you have..."

Zelda left the study, her mind racing. He was right, she had a duty to fulfil to her kingdom, and it was up to her to make Hyrule flourish with a suitable king. Why was she worrying, it's not like she's was in love?

Thanks for reading. As always, feedback is more than welcome!