Regret

"Oh, you're ok!"

Maryl was weeping, as she ran over to Zelda, and hugged her. Zelda was now back in the castle, in her room. The last place she wanted to be in.

"I was worried sick, sick I tell you!" She cried.

Zelda stared at her defiantly, her face a blank slate.

"Jorulph and your father have been exploding all over the castle, they've been restless," Explained Maryl, "Jorulph wanted to go and find you himself, despite his injuries."

Zelda sank onto her bed, and put her head in her hands. Maryl looked down at her, then caught sight of the ring on her left hand.

"You've really gone and done it now," sighed Maryl, "You're just making this harder for yourself. You know all too well that you have to marry Jor-"

"Oh just shut up, Maryl," Zelda Snapped.

Maryl was taken aback as Zelda stood up.

"You don't think I know that?!" Zelda Said.

"Well I-"

"Save it!" Interrupted Zelda, "I don't care about what I have to do, I love Link, he is my husband. My heart belongs to him, and nobody else. I refuse to marry another man whilst he is still alive, out there, running for his life."

"If your father finds out about this, there will be trouble." Warned Maryl, "now we can get the marriage annulled in secret-"

Zelda laughed. It wasn't a happy laugh, but more like a maniacal laugh.

"I can't!" She declared, "I can't get the marriage annulled."

Maryl stared at her, shocked. All these years Zelda had been obeying orders, but now, out of the blue, she decided to act on her own whim. This change in personality was not going to end well for the princess, Maryl was sure of it.

Zelda continued to laugh like a maniac, until Jorulph entered her room.

"How could you possibly be laughing at a time like this?" He Demanded.

"She's not right in the head." Said Maryl hastily, "she's been away from home for two days. Kidnapped. That boy has completely changed her mental state."

Jorulph stared at Zelda, thoughtfully.

"Anyway, I have come to tell you that your father has changed the wedding date to tomorrow morning." Said Jorulph, "he felt that this last episode has only just empathised how much you need me around."

Zelda was speechless, and stared at him, open mouthed.

"Until tomorrow, my dear." He Leered.

Jorulph left her room, before Zelda fell onto her bed, and started to weep uncontrollably.

"You have no choice."

Zelda looked up at Maryl, her face stained with tears.

"What do I do!?" She cried.

~•••••••~

"Did you hear about the princess?"

Link was sat in the corner of a stable, hood over his face to hide his identity. He was listening to two women talking, who looked like they knew all of the gossip.

"No, what about her?" Replied the other.

"They say she was found, finally," Explained the woman, "she was kidnapped by a knight, the evil bastard. And now, she's said to be kept in her room, crying without end. That knight completely threw her into turmoil."

"How could anyone be so evil," growled the other woman, "Well I heard that the royal wedding has been moved to tomorrow. I do hope the princess is stable enough to be the pretty bride we all expect her to be."

Link got up and walked past the two gossip women.

"Hey! Watch where you're going!" Called out the women.

Link ignored them and continued to walk. He walked out of the stable, and stared at the castle.

"I guess you heard those two women talking."

Link turned his head to the stable owner.

"I'm also guessing you're the guy who supposedly kidnapped the princess." He remarked.

Link moved his hand to his sword.

"No, there's no need." Said the owner, "I'm also guessing that you didn't kidnap her, all guesses, though."

"What do you want?" Asked Link, in a low voice.

"I want... to help you." Replied the owner.

He then pointed to the ring on Link's left hand.

"I can tell that there's more to you're story, so I want to help," Explained the stable owner, "I was once young, too, and young love is a true gift. A gift that shouldn't be put to waste. So I want to help you."

"I'm listening..." Said Link, cautiously.

"You've no doubt heard about the royal wedding tomorrow," Said the owner, "so that gives you until tomorrow to get to her, without getting caught. You may not realise this, but you have a one million rupee price tag on you."

Link glanced down at the floor. Of course he had a price tag on his head by now. The entire kingdom wanted him dead anyway, so there was no need for it.

"I'm going to the castle to deliver some supplies later," continued the stable owner, "you could always hide in the wagon, then jump out when we get inside."

"You can really do that for me?"

"Like I Said, I want nothing more than to help," replied the owner, thoughtfully, "I see myself in you, a young go getter, living on your impulses."

"I can never thank you enough!" Exclaimed Link.

"You can thank me by making sure you look after the princess, and make sure you're a good husband, and father." Replied the owner, "I'll go get the supplies ready, you lay low until I'm done."

Link nodded and walked over to a bench, and sat down. His thought immediately wondered to Zelda. If what the women said were true, then Zelda wasn't fairing well. She was suffering, and it was all his fault.

"I'm so sorry, Zelda."

~•••••••~

"I'm so sorry, Link."

Zelda was standing on her balcony, looking out over Hyrule. The sun was slowly setting. It was Link's favourite time of day, the time of day when Zelda declared her love to him, only a few days ago. And now, she was trapped.

Zelda had no way out of this whole marriage business, and now she had to betray her marriage with Link. The suffering Link must be going through, hiding away from everyone else, knowing that if anyone recognised him, it's the end of the line. This was all her fault. She got got carried away, and now Link was paying for her sins. She should've just listened to her father, to Jorulph.

They were both trapped now, with no way out.

Can our knight in a Hylian hood and tunic save his princess? Stay tuned for the next episode!