The eve of the wedding

"How is Kogam?"

The King was anxiously perched on his throne, his eyes full of rage after hearing about the attack on another one of his captains. Despite this rage that clouded his eyes, he managed to maintain a steady composure.

"Kogam is well," Replied Jorulph.

The King melted back into the throne, and rested his temple in his hand.

"Any news on that traitor?" Asked the King, "Of his whereabouts, or anything?"

Jorulph bit his lip, then looked up at the King.

"I'm afraid not, your majesty." He said.

A smile spread on the King's face, as he opened his arms out wide.

"There is no need for formalities, my boy!" He said joyfully, "Tomorrow, I shall be your father- in-law."

Jorulph nodded slightly. Tomorrow shall be the day he finally marries the princess.

"Well, send your troops out for another search," Said the king, dismissively.

The captain stared at the floor, thoughtfully, forming up a plan in his head.

"Forgive me, sir," Jorulph started, "But I believe there will be no need for that."

The king leaned forward on his throne, and stared at Jorulph, summing him up.

"I trust you enough to finish the job," He said after a while, "I am certain you will not fail."

The moon shone through the window of the sanctum, bathing the Jorulph in a pearly white glow.

"Don't you worry." Whispered Jorulph, "I won't"

******************

Link was crammed in the back of a wagon, being jostled about. True to his word, the owner was sneaking Link into the castle. During the journey, Link occasionally glanced down at his ring, sometimes rubbing a finger on it, to remind him this was all for her, for Zelda.

"You should be thinking of jumping off soon." Called out the owner from the front.

Link crouched near the flap of the wagon, and waited for the right time to sneak out. The wagon approached the gate of the castle, and came to a stop.

"Hey," Said the owner to one of the guards, "Here to drop of the supplies, as usual."

The guard nodded in acknowledgment, and signalled to another guard to open the gates. Link almost fell out of the flap of the wagon when it started to move again, and used all of his strength to keep his balance.

The wagon slowed down near the path that led to the gardens. Link knew this was the time to hop off, and did so, sneaking into the shadows of the intimidating towers. He gave the owner the thumbs up, and disappeared into the darkness.

********

Zelda sat on her bed, twiddling the ring on her left hand. Not knowing whether to take it off, or leave it on. At this point, she had no idea what to do in general. To marry Jorulph, or not. To run away again, or not. To live till the wedding ceremony or not.

The most important thing was that Link was safe, and that was all that mattered.

She looked over at a white dress that stood on display in her room. The dress that Maryl had left for her. The dress that she was going to wear tomorrow. On any other occasion, Zelda would've thought that it was a beautiful dress, and would've loved to wear it. However, it wasn't that occasion, and she hated it, the pure white making her sick. How could a marriage with Jorulph ever be pure? She would rather be seen dead in that dress.

The skin hung from Zelda's chalk and hollow face, her face blotchy from her continuous crying. There were circles under her once brilliant green eyes, now just cloudy green. Her hair was unkempt and helplessly fell around her face.

She heard a light tap on her balcony door. For a second she thought she fooled herself into hearing the sound she wanted to hear more than anything. She heard it again. Probably just the wind crashing against the door. She heard it a third time. This time, Zelda got up, and cautiously drew back the curtains.

Her sorrowful eyes lit up, as she eagerly opened the door, which Link clumsily stumbled through. He stared at her for a long time, assessing her change in appearance, how this whole thing has change her state.

Hoping it would make her feel better, Link pressed his lips against hers, and held tight. He didn't want to let go. He never wanted to let go of her again.

Zelda pulled back, so they weren't kissing anymore, but still remained in his strong arms.

"What are you doing here?" She asked.

"I couldn't bear to know that your are suffering because of me." He replied, "I promised to protect, and that's what I'm about to do."

His eyes wondered over to the wedding dress that stood proudly in the room. Link then looked at his wife, and gave a sorrowful sigh. Without warning, Zelda wept in his chest.

"Its tomorrow!" She cried, "What am I to do?"

"Lets run away, again, to a world of our own," Link fantasised, "We can be together, for an eternity, no rules holding us back. We can love freely and marry freely... and live freely."

"What's the use!" Zelda said, dejectedly, "When that world doesn't exist anywhere else but our dreams."

"We can-"

Link was cut off by the bedroom door bursting open. In the silhouettes of the seemingly red light, stood the figure of Jorulph. He stared, flicking his gaze between the two, intertwined together. After the realisation sunk in, he started to laugh. A malicious laugh that could send chills down anybody spine.

"Here I was thinking I would need to set an elaborate trap to catch you," He laughed, "But you just came running into my hands."

The guards were aroused by the commotion Jorulph was making, and came running to his side. Link hesitated for a fraction of a second, before unsheathing his sword, and holding it in front of Zelda's throat.

"Take one step, and you'll see the princess's blood on the floor!" Link spat.

He held her in a lock, slowly stepping away from the guars and Jorulph, pressing the sword against her throat.

"That is if you can bear to see it." Leered Jorulph, "Your shenanigans ends here."

Zelda wanted Link to stop. She knew exactly what he was doing, and wanted him to stop. If he was going to go down, she wanted to go down with him. She didn't want him to protect her.

Jorulph nodded to the guards to seize Link, and they ran forwards to tackle him away from the princess, and then pinned him to the floor. Zelda fell into Jorulph arms, who carelessly pulled her up.

"You need not worry about this urchin an longer." He said sarcastically, "He wont bother you again."

The guards roughly pushed Link out of the room, and left Jorulph and his soon-to-be wife staring after them.

"We'll have a lovely beheading before our wedding tomorrow." He said, "Its my wedding present to you."

Oh no! How on earth are they going to get out of this one?!