A promotion

"Link! Link!"

Link lazily opened one eye to see Kogam rushing over to him.

"Link! Wake up, you lazy cucco!" Shouted Kogam.

"What is it..." Link Asked wearily.

"It's a special someone's birthday today...." started Kogam.

"Your birthday was ages ago." Muttered Link.

"No, no, silly. It's Zelda's birthday."

Link immediately sat up.

"Oh yeah!" Link exclaimed.

"Finally, I have your attention." Said Kogam," anyway, the king is having a ball to celebrate her birthday tonight, and you've been assigned to stand guard inside!"

"Inside?!" Echoed Link,"Why, that's means I can see -"

"Zelda, Yes! The best part is, the guards in the actual room don't have to do much!"

The two were getting over-excited.

"Oh, and the King has requested to meet all off the knights assigned to keep guard during the ball... Now..." added Kogam.

Link sprang out of bed and hastily put on his soldiers' tunic and Hylian trousers before dashing out of the barracks whilst running his fingers through his hair and tying it up.

"The king requested to see the guards assigned a post during tonights ball." Explained Link to the guards at the door of the sanctum.

The guards nodded and opened the door for him. Link marches into the room, and bowed to the King before standing upright, chest puffed out.

"You must be one of the guards for tonight." Said the King.

"Yes, your majesty." Link replied.

"Good... you will be wearing the royal guard's uniform for tonight." Explained the King.

A servant scurried out of the corner and handed Link some dark blue clothes. Link held them in his hands in amazement. This was the uniform he was working towards since he was a child.

"You're Link, right?" Asked the King," I've heard a lot about you and the exceptional feats you've achieved. I'm honestly surprised that a knight of your calibre isn't one of the royal guards. I guess Jorulph knows what he's doing..."

Link stood there awkwardly with the uniform in his hands.

"I'm sure it won't hurt to have another royal guard..." pondered the King," No, it won't! Link, today's your lucky day! That uniform is for you to keep, and you have been promoted to a royal guard."

Link eyes were wide open in shock.

"I won't fail you, your majesty." He said with a bow.

"Very good, you're dismissed." The king said with a wave of his hand.

Link marched out of the sanctum, feeling elated. As soon as he was out, he punched the air in joy and rushed to tell Kogam.

~••••••••~

The day passed by slowly for Zelda. She was looking so forward to the ball that every task seemed to last for days. But the time was finally here, time for her to get ready for the ball. She stared at the gown set up on a stand and imagined herself twirling around in the dress.

Zelda picked up the jewellery box and took over to the balcony, where the sun was about to hit the horizon. She turned the key and was lost in the tune that emitted from the box.

There was a knock on the door. It didn't sound tensed, like the servant's knocks, so Zelda guessed that it was someone close to her.

"Come in!" She called.

Jorulph opened the door, holding a box in his hand. He saw Zelda standing at the balcony and walked over to her.

"Ahh, here to watch the sun set?" He asked.

"It's the most beautiful time of day..." Zelda sighed.

"Every time of the day is beautiful when you're around." He said.

Zelda smiled at him.

"Well, I didn't give you your present earlier, so I'm here to give it to you now." Jorulph Said.

He handed over the box.

"Happy birthday."

"Oh Jorulph, there was no need..."

"Yes, there was, I thought it would look beautiful on you."

Zelda opened he box and found a beautiful diamond encrusted necklace.

"Why... it's beautiful!" She exclaimed.

"Perfect for you, then." He replied, "Shall I put it on?"

Zelda nodded. Jorulph picked up the necklace and gently moved Zelda's hair out of the way. His touch made Zelda shiver, or was it because she was ticklish at the back of her neck? Zelda turned around to look at Jorulph.

"Gorgeous..." He said in awe.

He tucked a piece of hair behind her ear and cupped her face in his hand.

The sun was slowly approaching the horizon. Jorulph sighed and looked out to the vast expanse of the land in front of them

"I should be going to get ready, and I imagine you should too." He said after a while," I'll see you later."

Jorulph walked out of the room. Zelda couldn't decide if she hated him or not.

"It's time!" She whispered to herself.

Just as Zelda was about to reach for her dress, there was another knock on the door.

"Come in." She said reluctantly.

Maryl opened the door and walked in.

"Hold your horses, Zelda." She said," I came here to help you get ready."

Zelda nodded.

"Where did you get that necklace from?" Maryl asked.

"Jorulph gave it to me." Zelda mumbled.

"Hmm... Alright, go put your corset on, and I'll tie it up for you." Said Maryl.

Zelda went behind a screen, then emerged a few seconds later in her corset. Maryl went over to tie it up.

"It's too tight!" Zelda gasped.

"It needs to be tight," explained Maryl," you need tiny waists."

Zelda sighed.

"There, all tied up." Maryl said.

Zelda stood, gasping for air.

"Now go put on the gown you've been dying to wear." Ushered Maryl.

Zelda ran her hand down the dress, feeling the beautiful silk. She carefully took it off the stand and went behind the screen again. After a while, she timidly came out from behind the screen and looked at Maryl expectantly.

"You look just like your mother." Maryl said fondly,"This goes with it, as well."

Maryl handed over a golden headband with a ruby and a pair of golden earrings in the shape of the Triforce. Zelda put them on, then as the finishing touch, the ring her mother gave. She looked in the mirror and saw someone completely different. She looked like the princess of Time, another princess who led a tough life.

"Now go, and do not falter, my child."

"Thank you, Maryl."

---------

I expected the ball to happen in this chapter, but then I hit the 1000 word mark, so I decided to postpone it to the next chapter. Anyway, you've all been asking me why things happen the way they do, but my honest answer is I don't know myself. It's like the characters have a mind of their own, and I just write their story down. I know it's weird, but... I don't know😂